1. atún (m)
1. = group of student minstrels
2. prickly pear (planta) (Am)
1. The prickly pear or fly, the fig of the Cactus opuntia. (Botany) (m)
2. An idle and licentious life; truantship. (m)
- Andar a la tuna -> (Coll.) to play the truant; to wander idly about, to loiter
3. Student music group. (f)
(Botánica) prickly pear
2 (vida picaresca) rogue's life; vagabond life; merry life
correr la tuna to have a good time; live it up (familiar)
Tunas, also known as estudiantinas, are groups of students dressed in 17th century costumes who play guitars, lutes and tambourines and who used to go serenading through the streets. More recently, they have been known for making impromptu appearances at weddings and parties singing traditional Spanish songs, often of a bawdy nature, in exchange for drinks or some money.
What could we do to improve?