1. los/las (direct object)
- I hate them -> los odio
- I can forgive their son but not THEM -> puedo perdonar a su hijo, pero no a ellos
2. les (indirect object)
- I gave them the book -> les di el libro
- I gave it to them -> se lo di
3. ellos/ellas (after preposition)
- I'm thinking of them -> estoy pensando en ellos
4. ellos/ellas [as complement of verb to be]
- it's them! -> ¡son ellos!
- it was them who did it -> fueron ellos los que lo hicieron
5. (indefinite use)
- if anyone comes, tell them … -> si viene alguien, dile que…
1. El caso objetivo de They.
- I love them -> los o las amo
Los, las, les, ellos, ellas, a aquellos, a aquella
them [ðem] [ðəm]
1 (direct object) loslas;las
I didn't know them no los conocía; look at them! ¡míralos!; I had to give them to her tuve que dárselos
2 (indirect object) les; (combined with direct object pron) se
I gave them some brochures les di unos folletos; you must tell them the truth tienes que decirles la verdad; yes, of course I gave them the book sí, claro que les di el libro; yes, of course I gave it to them sí, claro que se lo di; I gave the money to them, not their parents les di el dinero a ellos, no a sus padres; I'm giving it to them not you se lo doy a ellos, no a ti; give it to them when you go to Liverpool dáselo cuando vayas a Liverpool; give it to them, not me dáselo a ellos, no a mí
3 (after prepositions, in comparisons, with verb "to be") ellosellas;ellas
it's for them es para ellos; my sisters didn't go, my mother stayed with them mis hermanas no fueron, mi madre se quedó con ellas; we are older than them somos mayores que ellos; it must be them deben de ser ellos; that's them, they're coming now son ellos, ya vienen; they were carrying them on them los llevaban consigo
What could we do to improve?