1. (to spend time)intransitive verb
a. to take
No puedo creer que tardaste dos horas en llegar.I can't believe it took you two hours to get here.
2. (to take too much time)
a. to be late
Si tardas, vamos a perder el tren.If you're late, we'll miss the train.
3. (to be a while)
a. to be long
¿Puedo ir a la tienda, mamá? - Sí, pero no tardes.Can I go to the store, mom? - Yes, but don't be long.
4. (to take too much time)
a. to be long
No me tardo; solo voy a comprar leche.I won't be long; I'm just going to buy milk.
b. to take a long time
¡Cómo te tardas! ¡Apúrate ya!What a long time you take! Hurry up already!
tardar intransitive verb to take (llevar tiempo)
- tardó un año en hacerloshe took a year to do it
- tardó en darse cuentait took him a while o he took a while to realize
- ¿cuánto tardarás (en hacerlo)?how long will you be (doing it)?, how long will it take you (to do it)?
to be late (retrasarse)
; to be slow (ser lento)
- tardar en hacer algoto take a long time to do something
- no tardará en llegarhe won't be long (in coming)
- ahora vuelvo, no tardoI'll be back in a minute, I won't be long
- no tardaron en hacerlothey were quick to do it
- a más tardarat the latest
- sin tardarpromptly
tardarse pronominal verb
- no me tardaréI won't be long(Mexican Spanish)
he tardado un poco debido a la lluvia I'm a bit late because of the rain; tardamos tres horas de Granada a Córdoba it took us o we took three hours to get from Granada to Córdoba; ¿cuánto se tarda? how long does it take?
aquí tardan mucho en servirte the service is very slow here; they take a long time to serve you here
tardó tres horas en encontrarlo it took him three hours to find it; he spent three hours looking for it; tardó mucho en repararlo he took a long time to repair it
vete a buscarlo, pero no tardes go and fetch it, but don't be long; te espero a las ocho, no tardes I expect you at eight, don't be late
tardar en hacer algo
tardó en llegar it was late in arriving; tarda en hacer efecto it takes a while to take effect; it doesn't take effect immediately; no tarde usted en informarme please tell me as soon as you know; el público no tardó en reaccionar the spectators were not slow o were quick to react
a más tardar at the latest
a las ocho a más tardar at eight o'clock at the latest
sin tardar without delay
a todo tardar at the latest
pronominal verbtardarse (México) to be long; take a long time
no me tardo I won't be long; I won't take long
Did this page answer your question?