1. (to spend time)intransitive verb
a. to take
No puedo creer que tardaste dos horas en llegar. I can't believe it took you two hours to get here.
2. (to take too much time)
a. to be late
Si tardas, vamos a perder el tren.If you're late, we'll miss the train.
3. (to be a while)
a. to be long
¿Puedo ir a la tienda, mamá? - Sí, pero no tardes.Can I go to the store, mom? - Yes, but don't be long.
4. (to take too much time)
a. to be long
No me tardo; solo voy a comprar leche.I won't be long; I'm just going to buy milk.
b. to take a long time
¡Cómo te tardas! ¡Apúrate ya!What a long time you take! Hurry up already!
tardar intransitive verb to take (llevar tiempo)
- tardó un año en hacerlo she took a year to do it
- tardó en darse cuenta it took him a while o he took a while to realize
- ¿cuánto tardarás (en hacerlo)? how long will you be (doing it)?, how long will it take you (to do it)?
to be late (retrasarse)
; to be slow (ser lento)
- tardar en hacer algo to take a long time to do something
- no tardará en llegar he won't be long (in coming)
- ahora vuelvo, no tardo I'll be back in a minute, I won't be long
- no tardaron en hacerlo they were quick to do it
- a más tardar at the latest
- sin tardar promptly
tardarse pronominal verb
- no me tardaré I won't be long (Mexican Spanish)
he tardado un poco debido a la lluvia I'm a bit late because of the rain; tardamos tres horas de Granada a Córdoba it took us o we took three hours to get from Granada to Córdoba; ¿cuánto se tarda? how long does it take?
aquí tardan mucho en servirte the service is very slow here; they take a long time to serve you here
tardó tres horas en encontrarlo it took him three hours to find it; he spent three hours looking for it; tardó mucho en repararlo he took a long time to repair it
vete a buscarlo, pero no tardes go and fetch it, but don't be long; te espero a las ocho, no tardes I expect you at eight, don't be late
tardar en hacer algo
tardó en llegar it was late in arriving; tarda en hacer efecto it takes a while to take effect; it doesn't take effect immediately; no tarde usted en informarme please tell me as soon as you know; el público no tardó en reaccionar the spectators were not slow o were quick to react
a más tardar at the latest
a las ocho a más tardar at eight o'clock at the latest
sin tardar without delay
a todo tardar at the latest
pronominal verbtardarse (México) to be long; take a long time
no me tardo I won't be long; I won't take long
Did this page answer your question?