desaparecido. 'desaparecido'. This adjective means 'missing'. For example, 'Está desaparecido entero; ni rastro quedó por ningún lado' / 'It is completely missing; not a trace remained anywhere'. Desaparecido.
1. missing (extraviado)
2. (ya no existente)
- el desaparecido, -a John Lennon -> the late John Lennon
- la desaparecida Sociedad de Naciones -> the now defunct League of Nations
masculine or feminine noun
3. missing person
- ha habido veinte muertos y tres desaparecidos -> twenty people have been killed and three are missing
1. Missing; extinct (especie).
- El libro desaparecido -> the missing book
- Uno de los animales desaparecidos -> one of the extinct animals
- Los desaparecidos -> the missing
adjetivo[+persona, objeto] missing; [+especie] extinct; (Latinoamérica) (Política) missing
el libro desaparecido the missing book; tres continúan desaparecidos three are still missing; uno de los animales desaparecidos one of the extinct animals; desaparecido en combate missing in action; MIA
(Latinoamérica) (Política) missing person
Los desaparecidos is the name given to those who disappeared during the military dictatorships in the Southern Cone in the 1970s. Thousands of people were taken from their homes, schools and places of work and never seen again. Few of "the disappeared" were ever found alive, although a certain number of bodies were recovered in mass graves. Families of the victims joined forces to form pressure groups like Argentina's Madres y Abuelas de la Plaza de Mayo, but although some managed to identify and recover the bodies of their relatives, the perpetrators were rarely brought to justice.
What could we do to improve?