Proper greetings in Spanish: ?me llamo,? or ?mi nombre es'? | SpanishDict Answers

Hi guys!!! I just started taking Spanish lessons on this website a couple of days ago. I wanted to know that when a person introduces themselves in spanish, is it proper to say "me llamo," or "mi nombre es'"

Hola! My name is Teyjzhaniqktiyanna. I just started taking this Spanish lesson today. If you were greeting some one in Spanish, I would prefer,mi nombre es.

mm if you are talking in a formal way you must say "mi nombre es"
but if you are in informal way you must say "me llamo"

si hablas en forma formal debes decir: mi nombre es
pero si hablas informalmente debes decir: me llamo

smile
native spanish speaker smile
thanks for learning my language :Y
Gracias por aprender mi idioma :Y

Bienvenidos al foro Alvo, Tey y Luz smile

native spanish speaker smile

In Spain "Me llamo" is normal in any situation, from informal to extremely formal situations, even to have an audience with the king. It is a normal verb, not a colloquial invention.

I never use "Mi nombre es" unless I am filling out a document; you don't talk like that in the street (but "Me llamo" can be used anywhere).

If you were greeting some one in Spanish, I would prefer,mi nombre es.

In informal contexts, and coming from a foreigner, anyone in Spain would understand that you speak like that, but coming from a native, you'd make people wonder why do you speak like that, unless you try to sound distant or exaggeratedly formal.

Police officers, judges, etc. would say ¿Cuál es su nombre? -Diga su nombre-

Exactly: it sounds too formal, too serious, or too ceremonious. If someone came to me in the street or in a pub, and said: "Mi nombre es...", I wouldn't be surprised if he said "Bond, James Bond", hehehe.