Hola,

I wanted to know the Spanish word for "peanut butter" and I found two translations on the Internet. I assume the term varies according to regions. Would any native or experienced speakers please tell me which is used in what countries?

¡Muchas gracias!

HI Ya, welcome to the forum smile

In Spain we use mantequilla de cacahuete. The other term is not known over here.

I have just found this:

maní.

(Voz taína).

1. m. cacahuete.

It is described as "voz taína" but that means nothing to me, I'm afraid confused , possibly Lazarus knows.

Thank you for the welcome! smile And thanks for the prompt reply.

I always thought the Spanish word for peanut was "maní", because that is what the Argentinians use. Then when I went to Mexico and discovered it's called "cacahuate" there (with an 'a'). And now I learned it's "cacahuete" in Spain. What a mess!

I have just found this:

maní.

(Voz taína).

1. m. cacahuete.

From Wikipedia:
The Taínos were pre-Columbian inhabitants of the Bahamas, Greater Antilles, and the northern Lesser Antilles. It is believed that the seafaring Taínos were relatives of the Arawakan people of South America. Their language is a member of the Maipurean linguistic family, which ranges from South America across the Caribbean.

"Maní", "cacahuete" and "cacahuate" (Mex.) are words from the original pre-Columbians inhabitants in America, for this plant was originally from South America. Each country prefers one word over the other one (Taíno or Nahuatl).

In Nahuatl, tlalcacauatl (cacahuete/cacahuate) meant the seed of the cacao.

En México se conoce como "crema de cacahuate" y la más popular es la de marca Aladino. No conozco mucha gente que la coma.