"Al que a un buen árbol se arrima... | SpanishDict Answers

OK Mr.and Mrs. Braniacs, I have a puzzling one for you (maybe). How would you translate this to English?

"Al que a un buen árbol se arrima buena sombra le cobija"

Here's one that is pretty close.

http://www.tomisimo.org/idioms/es/a-quien-a-buen-arbol-se-arrima-buena-sombra-le-2225.html

Here's one that is pretty close.

Yeah qfreed, I just wrote it out the top of my head...the traditional way is probably the one you found. I don't think the word sequence I used is wrong though.

Here's one that is pretty close.

He who gets under a pine tree, meets with a good shelter ...

Or more coloquially

If you can find a decent tree you will be protected.

Mind you, this is ok for rain storms but not much good when lightning is about. Sheltered under a tree is the last place you want to be.

Here's one that is pretty close.

Or more coloquially

Yeah, but if it gets windy you're still going to get soaked. LOL

Here's one that is pretty close.

Or more coloquially

Agreed.

Actually, I preferred the more metaphorical interpretation about seeing the good in life in others. It reminds me of some Bible scripture in the vein of Pr 17:17 or Pr 18:24. I would intrepret it as something similar to "select loyal and trustworthy friends and you will find suppport or aid in times of need".

Actually, I preferred the more metaphorical interpretation about seeing the good in life in others. It reminds me of some Bible scripture in the vein of Pr 18:24. I would intrepret it as something similar to "select loyal and trustworthy friends and you will find suppport or aid in times of need".

I agree with that qfreed. This reminds me of another saying: "Dime con quien andas y te diré quien eres." in English it would be something like: "Tell me who you hang around with, and I'll tell you who you are."

La versión cómica: el que a buen árbol se arrima... le cae c'ca (poo) en la cabeza raspberry

La versión cómica: el que a buen árbol se arrima... le cae caca (poo) en la cabeza raspberry

Maybe that'll make my hair grow raspberry

If it works then please let me know.

Another cure for baldness is to tattoo rabbits on your head. From a distance they look like hares, (hairs)

Ummm... i just noticed that in SpanishDict's dictionary (under arrimar) it translates this as "It pays to have friends in high places." What does anyone think'

Ummm... i just noticed that in SpanishDict's dictionary (under arrimar) it translates this as "It pays to have friends in high places." What does anyone think?

It makes sense.

I think the nice bible interpretation has nothing to do with this saying, it's more like what Valerie states.