0

OK Mr.and Mrs. Braniacs, I have a puzzling one for you (maybe). How would you translate this to English?

"Al que a un buen árbol se arrima buena sombra le cobija"

0

Here's one that is pretty close.

http://www.tomisimo.org/idioms/es/a-quien-a-buen-arbol-se-arrima-buena-sombra-le-2225.html

• May 13, 2009
0

Here's one that is pretty close.

Yeah qfreed, I just wrote it out the top of my head...the traditional way is probably the one you found. I don't think the word sequence I used is wrong though.

• May 13, 2009
0

Here's one that is pretty close.

He who gets under a pine tree, meets with a good shelter ...

Or more coloquially

If you can find a decent tree you will be protected.

Mind you, this is ok for rain storms but not much good when lightning is about. Sheltered under a tree is the last place you want to be.

• May 13, 2009
0

Here's one that is pretty close.

Or more coloquially

Yeah, but if it gets windy you're still going to get soaked. LOL

• May 13, 2009
0

Here's one that is pretty close.

Or more coloquially

Agreed.

• May 13, 2009
0

Actually, I preferred the more metaphorical interpretation about seeing the good in life in others. It reminds me of some Bible scripture in the vein of Pr 17:17 or Pr 18:24. I would intrepret it as something similar to "select loyal and trustworthy friends and you will find suppport or aid in times of need".

• May 13, 2009
0

Actually, I preferred the more metaphorical interpretation about seeing the good in life in others. It reminds me of some Bible scripture in the vein of Pr 18:24. I would intrepret it as something similar to "select loyal and trustworthy friends and you will find suppport or aid in times of need".

I agree with that qfreed. This reminds me of another saying: "Dime con quien andas y te diré quien eres." in English it would be something like: "Tell me who you hang around with, and I'll tell you who you are."

• May 13, 2009
0

La versión cómica: el que a buen árbol se arrima... le cae c'ca (poo) en la cabeza raspberry

• May 14, 2009
0

La versión cómica: el que a buen árbol se arrima... le cae caca (poo) en la cabeza raspberry

Maybe that'll make my hair grow raspberry

• May 14, 2009
0

If it works then please let me know.

Another cure for baldness is to tattoo rabbits on your head. From a distance they look like hares, (hairs)

• May 14, 2009
0

Ummm... i just noticed that in SpanishDict's dictionary (under arrimar) it translates this as "It pays to have friends in high places." What does anyone think'

• Jun 9, 2009
0

Ummm... i just noticed that in SpanishDict's dictionary (under arrimar) it translates this as "It pays to have friends in high places." What does anyone think?

It makes sense.

• Jun 14, 2009
0

I think the nice bible interpretation has nothing to do with this saying, it's more like what Valerie states.

• Jun 14, 2009