I asked some Spanish-speaking people at the park what to call the slide. They said (it sounded like) baladilla / valadilla. However, I can't find this in any dictionary -- and they may have thought I meant the whole playground, not just the slide.

Does anyone recognize that word? What do you call a playground, and a playground slide?

/aside/

I haven't seen a playground slide like the one in this picture from google images since I was a kid . . . they are all plastic now, so the daredevil little kids can't go so fast!

• The word you are looking for is "resbaladilla" for the playground slide. - smsunchild Jun 20, 2010 flag

playground slide - tobogán

playground - parque infantil (de juegos)

¡Gracias!

/aside/

I double clicked the word slide and our dictionary gave tobogán (m). I think a playground can also be zona de recreos (f).

I think the change was made so that the kids wouldn't get burned, as D. Estrega mentioned. I remember frying the backs of my legs many a time!

Some other playground vocab:

swing = columpio, balancín
sandbox = cajón de arena
monkey bars = pasamanos

But how do we say merry-go-round?

This link offers some definitions.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php't=879111

This link offers some definitions.

I have also seen caballitos (mpl) and calesita (f) but these may be used in South America.

This link offers some definitions.

But those words don't refer to what I mentioned (click on the hyperlink in my post above). Those are all carousels (also called merry-go-rounds), and not playground equipment.

I don't even know what to call it in my own native tongue James. I doubt there is one. LOL Do you'?

If I would translate it to spanish maybe I would look at una giratoria.

Yes, it's called a merry-go-round. That word has also been appropriated for what is more precisely called a carousel, but the manufacturers of playground equipment all call these spinners merry-go-rounds. Some people seem to call them roundabouts.

Can you cite any evidence for the use of giratoria? I have only heard that word in "puerta giratoria" or "silla giratoria."

No, I have no idea what they are called in spanish. I was just playing with the word children would use here and translated it to spanish.

Sorry, but to whom are you replying? Your reply makes it sound like you are replying on behalf of D. Estrega.

I googled "calesita images" (which Eddy had suggested) and came up with several hits similar to your link James. But the sites are from Argentina. I don't know if it's said differently elsewhere.

I think the word you might have heard was "resbaladera"

Having actually looked again at what your question was I am now almost certain that "resbaladera" was what you heard. I was therefore wondering where the Spanish speaking people were from.

Was tiovivo mentioned? That's the only word that I have heard for one.

Yes, it was in a link. Now why can't I erase this'

I remember those slides from childhood. It was like sitting on a frying pan. I had a numbers of burnmarks after them on my ' tongue rolleye
We used to sit on sheets of waxed paper (from out lunches). Helped with speed and insulation from heat.

You probably heard "resbaladilla", which is used in Mexico.

Thank you!! That at least clears up what I (thought) I heard; if they said "Resbaladera" and I interpreted that as "Es baladilla" . . . maybe they were from a country that pronounces the r's a little differently? Now, it would be interesting to find out if this is a regional expression or if they were just guessing at what to call it from the word resbalar''''