If using verbs like pedir and preguntar, do you use subjunctive? If so, under what conditions? Here is an example of an English sentence that I would like to translate: Roberto asked his sister to do the dishes.

D-doubt (I doubt that there is school today; dudo que sea escuela hoy)

Just to point a mistake here. It should be "Dudo que haya escuela hoy"

It depends on the context. It's rather complex, but there is a little acronym to remember when to use it
W-will (i.e. I want you to do your homework Quiero que hagas tu tarea.)
E-emotion (Es triste que no haya dinero hoy; it is sad that there is not any money today)
I-impersonal [removed]it is important that they study for the test; es importante que estudien por el examen)
R-request (My parents prohibit me from drinking; mis padres prohíben que yo beba)

In your sentence subjunctive is not necessary. you could write "Roberto pidió a su hermana lavar los platos."

If you want to use subjunctive you would have to change the sentence slightly. the sentence in english would be "Robert asked for his sister to wash the dishes" "Roberto pidió que su hermana hiciera los platos" It's more complicated in the past....It's takes a while to learn either way

In present tense just use the opposite endings so...for -ar verbs use the -er/-ir endings and for -er/-ir verbs use the -ar verb endings...

I know this is probably too much too fast smile Hope it helps though smile

Ryan, ALL verbs in Spanish are used in subjunctive sooner or later, and they they all do so under the same conditions: when you do not purposefully state what you think or believe in a subordinate clause. In your example, "asked" is the verb of the main sentence, so it cannot appear in subjunctive ("do" is part of the subordinate, so this one will be in subjunctive).

Examples with subjunctive:

No creo que te lo pida (I do not think that he'll ask you (to so sth), so use subjunctive)
No creo que te lo pregunte (I do not think that he'll ask you, so use subjunctive)