0

I had my lesson on telling time, and this is new to me. I would have written for 12:45 am--
las quince menos cuarto de la mañana
or
quince menos cuarto de la tardes. So what is with faltan? Are both ways right'

0

Correction..... I wrote it wrong. Sorry

I would have put "la una menos cuarto de la mañana"

Now I am all confused.

• Nov 23, 2008
0

or quince para la una de la manana. Faltar is To Lack. No sey

• Nov 23, 2008
0

ok, thank you so much. I should have looked the word up in the dictionary.

Timo said:

>

• Nov 23, 2008
0

There are several ways to say this. I'll give you a literal English translation, so you can see the structure, even though it would never be said that way in English.

15 are lacking of 1:00 "Faltan quince para la una"
A quarter is lacking of 1:00 "Falta cuarto para la una"
It's twelve forty-five "Son las doce y cuarenta y cinco"

Note that usually time is expressed in hours (plural) unless it's one o'clock. In Spanish classes in US high schools, kids are taught to say "¿Qué hora es'" That is grammatically correct, but I usually hear "¿Qué horas son'" Maybe that's just a regional thing.
Hope that helps.
CV

• Nov 23, 2008
0

well you can say:
it's 10 to five like son 10 minutos para las cinco or you can also say faltan 10 minutos para las cinco.

• Nov 23, 2008
0

"¿Qué hora es'" is the correct form to ask for time despite the answer is in singular or plural.

CalvoViejo said:

Hope that helps.

CV

>

• Nov 23, 2008
0

Thank you all very much. I am begining to like telling time using faltan and para.It seems much easier to me. I like not having to always say "son las" to start out telling the person the time. Thanks for giving me the English translation for both ways. That helps a lot.

CalvoViejo said:

There are several ways to say this. I'll give you a literal English translation, so you can see the structure, even though it would never be said that way in English.15 are lacking of 1:00 "Faltan quince para la una"A quarter is lacking of 1:00 "Falta cuarto para la una"It's twelve forty-five "Son las doce y cuarenta y cinco"Note that usually time is expressed in hours (plural) unless it's one o'clock. In Spanish classes in US high schools, kids are taught to say "¿Qué hora es'" That is grammatically correct, but I usually hear "¿Qué horas son'" Maybe that's just a regional thing.Hope that helps.CV

>

• Nov 24, 2008
0

Instant Immersion Spanish lists both "¿Qué hora es'" and "¿Qué horas son'" for "What time is is it'" In fact, I almost posted a question about this on the forum because I had only heard the first one before. CalvoViejo makes a good point that which form is more common is probably regional.

• Nov 24, 2008
0

"¿Qué horas son'"

Sounds even wrong to me.

In Spain para and faltan is unusual. We use: menos and y

Son las 10 y cuarto.
Son las 8 menos cuarto.

• Nov 24, 2008
0

I remember years ago, walking down the street. Kid would often ask us "¿Qué horas son'" just to see if we could speak Spanish (it was obvious we were Gringos). Our answer typically was "Sí, tengo corazón." We enjoyed the play on words, but I don't know if the kids realized that the statements sound very similar to English speakers. Back in those days "CalvoViejo" would not have been an apt sobrenombre for me. Time marches on...

• Nov 24, 2008