Dental terms in Spanish | SpanishDict Answers
Do you #LoveSpanish? Share why for a chance to win $15,000 in scholarships from SpanishDict. Learn more!
report this ad
0 Vote

I am looking for someone who can teach me some basic Spanish Dental terms. I will be working in an emergency dental clinic in Guatemala and have only very beginner Espanol lessons.
How do I say -"Are you having pain '" "Open your mouth" " We will pull your tooth out to stop the pain and infection" "Do not be afraid"

  • Posted Nov 15, 2008
  • | 8770 views
  • | link
  • | flag

14 Answers

0 Vote

"Tú" version / "usted" version:

Are you having pain ? - ¿Te duele? / ¿Le duele?
Open your mouth - Abre la boca. / Abra la boca.
We will pull your tooth out to stop the pain and infection / Te sacaremos la muela para para el dolor y la infección. / Le sacaremos la muela para para el dolor y la infección.
Do not be afraid - No te preocupes. / No se preocupe.

0 Vote

Thank you. Do I understand correctly that "usted" means you ? When and why is "Tu" used ? Yes, I am a beginner..

0 Vote

Char said:

Thank you. Do I understand correctly that "usted" means you ? When and why is "Tu" used ? Yes, I am a beginner..

HI char, the usted form is the polite form, probably best used by you as you are a dentist.
Tú is sued when you are on friendly terms with the person.

0 Vote

la muela para parar el dolor y la infección.

Lazarus had a small spelling mistake here. I am correcting this for your sake.

0 Vote

Thank you. Can you please tell me exactly what each word is in this Phrase "Le sacaremos la muela para parar el dolor y la infeccion."

0 Vote

One you didn't ask for: "Stick out your tongue." = "Saque la lengua."

I mention this because about a year ago a dentist (she was from India but perhaps she studied dentistry in Spain) told me to "take out my tongue". I told her that this would be difficult because it was firmly attached at the back of my mouth but that I would be willing to stick it out if that would help. For some reason, she didn't find the exchange nearly as funny as I.

0 Vote

Char said:

Thank you. Can you please tell me exactly what each word is in this Phrase "Le sacaremos la muela para parar el dolor y la infeccion."

Literally:

We will pull your tooth to stop the pain and the infection.

Le sacaremos la muela para parar el dolor y la infeccion
to you (we) will pull the tooth to stop ....

As you can see the structure is different in Spanish.

If you can think of more sentences , just post them here.

0 Vote

lazarus1907 said:

We will pull your tooth out to stop the pain and infection / Te sacaremos la muela para para el dolor y la infección. / Le sacaremos la muela para para el dolor y la infección.
Am I safe in thinking that you said "muela" because molars are the teeth most likely to be extracted'

0 Vote

Samdie, Sorry the dentist did not think your attached comment was funny. In my office I tell my patients to stick their tongue out at me, and that they only get one chance to ever do that. Most think it is funny, so I thought your comment was funny, but maybe the foreign dentist thought you were being disrepectful of the language differences ''''?

samdie said:

lazarus1907 said:

We will pull your tooth out to stop the pain and infection / Te sacaremos la muela para para el dolor y la infección. / Le sacaremos la muela para para el dolor y la infección.

Am I safe in thinking that you said "muela" because molars are the teeth most likely to be extracted?

>

0 Vote

samdie said:

>

0 Vote

lazarus1907 said:

I made an assumption here. For some reason, in Spain we don't usually call all our teeth "dientes"; we all differentiate between front teeth, fangs, and molar teeth.
Pretty much what I had thought but wanted to check, nonetheless.

P.S. "fangs" are for animals and vampires. For people we would say "canines" or "eye-teeth".

0 Vote

lazarus1907 said:

"Tú" version / "usted" version:Are you having pain ? - ¿Te duele? / ¿Le duele'Open your mouth - Abre la boca. / Abra la boca.We will pull your tooth out to stop the pain and infection / Te sacaremos la muela para para el dolor y la infección. / Le sacaremos la muela para para el dolor y la infección.Do not be afraid - No te preocupes. / No se preocupe.

Para para. Is this a simple typing error and should it be para parar

0 Vote

Sorry, just noticed that Heidita has already corrected it above.

0 Vote

So what is the Spanish word used for front teeth, as you called them fangs, we call them incisors in the dental world. But how would I say we will pull your front tooth out?

lazarus1907 said:

samdie said:

>

Answer this Question
report this ad