2

i should know this but always forget.
also...
ella tenia---|---|--does tenia need an accent''?
and.....
el llego---|---|does llego need an accent'''

1

There is no word "por que." You can say "por lo que" and so forth, but not just "por que" (unless there is some obscure grammar construction I am unaware of).

porque = because
por qué = why

Tenía and llegó need accents. It is easy to remember if you understand the logic. The basic rule is that for most words (and the others have rules, too), the accent is on the penultimate syllable, and when there is an exception to this rule, you have to use an accent mark. You also have to use one to indicate that a diphthong is split. In the case of llegó, the accent is on the last syllable, so a mark is necessary. With tenia, the "ia" would form a diphthong, but writing tenía tells us that the I has to be pronounced separately.

• Sep 25, 2008
1

porque means "because" in english and por que means "but" in engish . Hasta Luego!

• Sep 25, 2008
1

Braidon said:

"pero" (or less frequently and in some situations "sino") means "but". For "por que" see James' response.

• Sep 25, 2008
1

Braidon said:

por que means "but" in engish.

That's not true.

• Sep 25, 2008
1

James Santiago said:

Well.. there is, and it is not that obscure, since many verbs can require the preposition "por". Also, "por" can also used to in consecutive sentences instead of "para". In any case, "por que" cannot be a word, but two.

p. q. e .d. = por que en paz descanse.
Nadie apostaba por que el partido Liberal ganase las elecciones.
Se preocupó por que estudiaran.
Daría mi vida por que mis hijos estudiaran.

Also, it is not incorrect to say "por que" instead of "por lo que" in many cases, but it is used mainly in written Spanish, e.g. las penalidades por (las) que había pasado.

• Sep 25, 2008
0

oh yea!
i remember from a class from last semester.
you are very bright.

• Sep 25, 2008
0

I'm sure I read somewhere that all 4 permutations exist: por que, por qué, porque and porqué ...not that I know how to use them all.

• Sep 25, 2008
0

Thanks, Lazarus. I knew you'd come through! wink

Se preocupó por que estudiaran.

Does this translate to "He was worried about whether they were studying"'

• Sep 25, 2008
0

:

They all exist.

• Sep 25, 2008
0

lazarus1907 said:

:

They all exist.

And just for the record, porqué means the reason, the why something happens. "No sabía el porqué de la guerra."

I just checked my dictionary, and see that porqué also means "share," as in "her share of the money."

• Sep 25, 2008
0

Good explanation James. Just to add one more thing, the accent does indicate that a diphthong is split. Otherwise it would be an "hiato". Sorry, I don't know the word for hiato in English.

Example:
Mario is without an accent and the 'io' form a diphthong, because the 'i' has a subordinate sound to the 'o'.
María is with an accent and forms an "hiato" because the 'i' needs to be strongly pronounced.

• Sep 25, 2008
0

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiato
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hiato

Hiatus in English.

Mark W said:

Good explanation James. Just to add one more thing, the accent does indicate that a diphthong is split. Otherwise it would be an "hiato". Sorry, I don't know the word for hiato in English.Example:Mario is without an accent and the 'io' form a diphthong, because the 'i' has a subordinate sound to the 'o'.María is with an accent and forms an "hiato" because the 'i' needs to be strongly pronounced.

>

• Sep 25, 2008
0

Oh thanks Quentin. I am familiar with the word 'hiatus' (as in "I'm taking a hiatus"), but I didn't equate it with hiato.

Hmmm... is 'hiato' used in that context in Spanish'

• Sep 25, 2008
0

Mark W said:

Hmmm... is 'hiato' used in that context in Spanish?

We'll probably have to wait for Lazarus to come along and offer an authoritative opinion on Spanish usage but I would comment that "hiatus" is not exactly in common usage in English, either. I know plenty of academics that use the word (and I always think that we should make an effort to preserve our Greek borrowings) but I can't recollect having heard the "man on the street" use the word.

• Sep 25, 2008
0

porque means because.
por que means why.

• Sep 25, 2008