I am unable to find the word aseguranza in dictionaries. It was used by a person who helped me translate a notice into Spanish. The context is a request to bring copies of bills such as insurance bills. Is this a correct word or is there another more widely accepted term? Thank you.

• la palabra aseguranza no existe, lo correcto es decir SEGURO !! - ironboxmetal Apr 7, 2010 flag
  • that word doese not exist, the right way to say it is seguro !! - ironboxmetal Apr 7, 2010 flag

Tén la aseguranza que mañana paso por ti.

Y después, tengo que comprar seguro para mi coche.

Both are correct, but in different contexts.

• Buen ejemplo, ezrider. Para ayudar a los 'beginners', ¿puedes traducir tus respuestas al inglés también? ;-) - chaparrito Nov 18, 2009 flag
  • Sorry. Be assured that tomorrow I will pick you up. And later, I have to buy insurance for my car. - JulianChivi Nov 21, 2009 flag
  • no amigo, la palabra aseguranza no existe , lo correcto es seguro, tenlo por seguro que paso por ti, y despues tengo que comprar seguro para mi coche, esta bien - ironboxmetal Apr 7, 2010 flag

the word is seguro.

• The SpanishDict dictionary states "Asegurar =2. to insure oneself, to take out an insurance policy (finance)". Segurar is not the only answer. - Moe Nov 21, 2009 flag

Hi Kathy, you friend has chosen an Italian word.

In Spanish we say: seguro

recibos del seguro

Thanks!

Thanks!

I work in Fort Worth, Texas. Right or wrong, the Mexican Spanish speaking pharmacy customers do use the word aseguranza instead of seguro. I was even told just today that seguro is used for social security not for insurance and that the correct word for insurance is aseguranza. Weird, I know.

• I think what you are witnessing there is the melding of languages. Spanglish! ;-) - chaparrito Nov 18, 2009 flag
  • the word aseguranza doese not exist, the right way is seguro , either seguro social or seguro medico - ironboxmetal Apr 7, 2010 flag
  • I am a native speaker, raised and educated in a Spanish speaking country. The Spanish spoken in Texas is terrible in general. I live in TX, I know what I am talkin about. Seguro médico, seguro de auto, seguro de vida. those are the correct terms. - liliagom Feb 20, 2011 flag

AnnieA, just as many Americans brutalize English, a large class of Mexicans do the same with Spanish. The latest abomination I've heard comes from a short time spent in a junk yard. A chica who was working there asked a guy if he wanted part of an exhaust pipe (all in Spanish) and called it "pipa." "Me lleva la fregada," I thought to myself. "Pipa" means "pipe," as in the kind one smokes. "Tubo" is the word that escaped her.

• Just remember that most of the Mexicans that migrate to the USA are poor and uneducated. The ones that graduate don't usually migrate. Then what did you expect? It's funny to see how they come to the USA and start using those barbarisms. - liliagom Feb 20, 2011 flag
  • BTW, I am Mexican, I do have a degree in my country, and I moved to the USA. I know what I am talking about. - liliagom Feb 20, 2011 flag

I am unable to find the word aseguranza in dictionaries.

aseguranza.

(De asegurar).

1. f. desus. Seguridad, resguardo. U. en Salamanca.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

I thought that it meant assurance.

• The SpanishDict dictionary states "Asegurar =2. to insure oneself, to take out an insurance policy (finance)". - Moe Nov 21, 2009 flag
  • that word doese not exist, the right way is seguro - ironboxmetal Apr 7, 2010 flag
  • Aseguranza, (???), llamar a alguien para atras, (call you back), carpeta (for carpet), quora (for quarter) and so many other "words"or expressions in Spanish are driviming crazy... They are only "mexicanisms". They don't exist in real Spanish language. - Pujarteago May 25, 2012 flag

Just to make things clear. Most of the Hispanics that come to the United States Come from a poor background and they don't speak a professional Spanish, not even a decent one. Aseguranza doesn't exist and I hope it never does as a authorized word by the real academy of Spanish language. Aseguranza is a Mexican slang which most of Hispanics use just because they are too lazy to correct the way it's really supposed to be said to make it understandable between the Spanish community. When some helps a non Spanish speaking person , you should tell that person te correct word in Spanish, not your local word or how your family says it because that person is trying to learn and you teach them something incorrect.

The correct word is "seguro". It's and adjective used as a noun. Like in many Spanish words in some cases.

I hope this helps you. Even though I see your post it's not so new.

So what I got from this thread is that "aseguranza" is used to mean "insurance" by some Mexicans but the correct word is "seguro".

So there it is. "Aseguranza" is a word. It may be a word like "ain't" where you wouldn't use it outside of a certain context or formality level, but it exists. Learners should be aware of both words. That "aseguranza" exists (because the learner may eventually run into it and be confused because he was told it isn't a word) and that many speakers consider it incorrect.

Given the context (an advertisement) I'd recommend not using "aseguranza" because you probably be going for a more professional tone. But take a note that eventually someone might wander into your office asking for some "aseguranza".