Just throwing this out there...

Does discrimination within the latino community present itself towards Mexican-Latinos over any other Latino nationality? Why?

What role do white Americans play in this'

I think it may depend on where you are geographically. When I lived in NY, most people pointed to the Puerto Ricans. Of course if you live in California or in Texas, it's the people from Mexico. I would venture to say that in Florida, it's the Cubans.

What LadyDi said is true but I think the question is meant to refer to the opinions of other Latin Americans vis a vis the Mexicans (with the subordinate question that, if they do, indeed, discriminate more against them than against other Latin Americans, is the attitude of gringos in some way, a contributory factor? Clearly, when gringos make derogatory remarks about "Latinos", they mostly are referring to Mexicans (since the typical gringo has trouble seeing past his own borders, to say nothing of further south of his neighbor's borders).

Oh, I see. Well, I live in Texas so most people here are of Mexican descent. I don't think they would discriminate against each other unless it's some type of class snobbery. I personally don't see any prejudices towards people from Mexico per se within the Latino community. Realistically speaking, this type of behavior goes both ways. It just depends on the person.

The U.S. has a race system, while So called "Latin American" countries have a class system. That is not to say that these countries do'nt discriminate agains blacks, and jews because of their race.However, the so called "indians "are at the bottom of the ladder.
Where, I am from the "indians " are despiised with a capital D" . But, in Mexico indians
are tolerated. The curios thing is that if aborigenes get out of their native
dress and learn to speak passable Spanish they are accepted as menbers of the general population. Next time when (or if ) you watch Latin American televisionYou wont see many dark skinned people, all the "stars are white" . Although is getting a little better now days because there have been some mild protests so you'll see the token black. There are rolls for indians but all potrayed as members of the lower classes. Remember that there are no absolutes in human behavior.

LadyDi said:

>