what does the word mean in Spanish someone greeted me using the word in a text.
the dictionary did not have a definition .

Assuming that it is properly spelled, it is the diminutive of "mum" (mamá); something like "mummy" in the UK. Many words ending in -ito / -ita in Spanish are diminutives.

Now, I believe that this is also a slang in some countries to refer to women in general, but I am not sure about its usage and scope.

Is a term of endearment, It is used to adress a daughter. And, a male lover to his lady,or s son to his mother. aunt or what have you.
Often it is use by men to flirt with women.
The literal traduction is little mother. or momy

Gus said:

Is a term of endearment, It is used to adress a daughter. And, a male lover to his lady,or s son to his mother. aunt or what have you. Often it is use by men to flirt with women.

To address a daughter! Really? (by the way there are three "m"s in "mommy)

Yep, well... I heard a mother adress her little daughter (a todler) as mamita, the little girl was making a scene in the Giant super market and the mother said, mamita mamita please be quiet.But, I heard other mothers use this term when talking to their daughters.
Thank you for correcting my spelling, I need all the help, I can get.

Gus said:

Yep, well... I heard a mother adress her little daughter (a todler) as mamita, the little girl was making a scene in the Giant super market and the mother said, mamita mamita please be quiet.But, I heard other mothers use this term when talking to their daughters. Thank you for correcting my spelling, I need all the help, I can get.

I still find it surprising but if that's what people say... Anyway, it's the being surprised that makes learning languages so interesting.

As for needing help; Who doesn't'

I've heard folks use this as a diminutive when addressing small girls, as well. I also know a family who call their grandmother Mamita (a pet name, like "granny" or something).

Gus, another point to remember is that 'traducción" should be "translation" in English, rather than "traduction". Confusing, I know.

Valerie said:

I've heard folks use this as a diminutive when addressing small girls, as well. I also know a family who call their grandmother Mamita (a pet name, like "granny" or something).Gus, another point to remember is that 'traducción" should be "translation" in English, rather than "traduction". Confusing, I know.

>