0 Vote

¿Son iguales? Acabo de leer esta palabra "jitomates" en un libro para niños que se coloca [is set in] en México. Nunca lo había oído antes.

  • Posted Aug 21, 2008
  • | 4834 views
  • | link
  • | flag

15 Answers

0 Vote

[url=http://images.google.com/images'hl=en&q=jitomates&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title]http://images.google.com/images'hl=en&q=jitomates&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title[/url]

0 Vote

Quentin said:

[url=http://images.google.com/images'hl=en&q=jitomates&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title]http://images.google.com/images'hl=en&q=jitomates&um=1&...[/url]

Well, they look like tomatoes to me . . .

0 Vote

Jitomates for all intents and purposes are tomatoes. In some regions of Mexico they use the word jitomates for tomatoes while in other places of Mexico it refers to a certain type of a tomato, but it's still a tomato.

0 Vote

Nate said:

Jitomates for all intents and purposes are tomatoes. In some regions of Mexico they use the word jitomates for tomatoes while in other places of Mexico it refers to a certain type of a tomato, but it's still a tomato.

Thanks!

0 Vote

I work in the produce industry. 'Tomates? and 'jitomates? are exactly the same: Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum.) The reason why in some parts of Mexico and Central America are called Jitomates is because this fruit (not a vegetable) is native from the Mesoamerica region and the Nahuatl name for this fruit is: xitomatl.
The 'tomatillo? or 'tomates verdes? (Physalis philadelphica) are not the same than tomatoes.

0 Vote

Shrek said:

I work in the produce industry. 'Tomates? and 'jitomates? are exactly the same: Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum.) The reason why in some parts of Mexico and Central America are called Jitomates is because this fruit (not a vegetable) is native from the Mesoamerica region and the Nahuatl name for this fruit is: xitomatl.The 'tomatillo? or 'tomates verdes? (Physalis philadelphica) are not the same than tomatoes.

Thank you, that is very clear!! (I'd forgetten I even asked about this . . .)

0 Vote

The DRAE says:

:

jitomate. (Del nahua xictli, ombligo, y tomatl, tomate). 1. m. Méx. tomate (? fruto de la tomatera).

The "navel" of the tomato.

0 Vote

lazarus1907 said:

The DRAE says:

:

jitomate.(Del nahua xictli, ombligo, y tomatl, tomate).1. m. Méx. tomate (? fruto de la tomatera).

The "navel" of the tomato.

I have no idea what you're talking about . . . or was that supposed to be funny'

0 Vote

I think the word tomatl derives from xitomatl. According to the Horticultural department of the Univesity of Wisconsin:

Tomatoes belong to the genus Lycopersicon (Solanaceae family). Evidence supports the theory the first domesticated tomato was a little yellow fruit, ancestor of L. cerasiforme, grown by the Aztecs of Central America who called it 'xitomatl? (pronounced zee-toe-má-tel), meaning plump thing with a navel, and later called tomati by other Central American tribes. Aztec writings mention tomatoes were prepared with peppers and salt, likely to be the original salsa recipe. The tomato's actual origin is thought to be Peru in South America where it grew wild (like a weed) several thousands of years before making its way north to Central America.
[url=http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/vegetables/tomatoes/tomorigin/tomato%20origin.htm]http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/vegetables/tomatoes/tomorigin/tomato%20origin.htm[/url]

0 Vote

"Reply" is not working again . . .

Thanks for the link, Shrek! I learned something! And now I know what Lazarus meant . . . I knew he meant something grin

0 Vote

Other Central American tribes''''''?
There were not tribes, there were nations, Astecs, Mayas ,Incas were nations. They had an advance civilization, The Mayas came out with the idea of the zero, I know, I know the Arabs came up with the zero also), their calendar was(at the time) far superior than the european' calendar.
Their cities were cleaner and more advance than the europeans' cities, remember the plague was decimating half the population of europe .
In Mexico jitomate is what we call here ( in the USA) a tomato
the tomato is what we call here (in the USA) the little green tomato

cite>Shrek said:

:

I think the word tomatl derives from xitomatl. According to the Horticultural department of the Univesity of Wisconsin:Tomatoes belong to the genus Lycopersicon (Solanaceae family). Evidence supports the theory the first domesticated tomato was a little yellow fruit, ancestor of L. cerasiforme, grown by the Aztecs of Central America who called it 'xitomatl? (pronounced zee-toe-má-tel), meaning plump thing with a navel, and later called tomati by other Central American tribes. Aztec writings mention tomatoes were prepared with peppers and salt, likely to be the original salsa recipe. The tomato's actual origin is thought to be Peru in South America where it grew wild (like a weed) several thousands of years before making its way north to Central America.[url=http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/vegetables/tomatoes/tomorigin/tomato%20origin.htm]http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/vegetables/tomatoe...[/url]

>

0 Vote

Totally agree with you. But as I mentioned this was a reference of the webpage of the department of Horticulture from the University of Wisconsin.
You also mentioned Aztecas, Mayas and Incas. But if I remember my history classes, yes Mayas inhabited the Central America region, but they were long time gone by the time that Mexicas arrived to the "Valle del Anahuatl", so Mayas were not the ones who named this fruit.

Gus said:

Other Central American tribes'''''''There were not tribes, there were nations, Astecs, Mayas ,Incas were nations. They had an advance civilization, The Mayas came out with the idea of the zero, I know, I know the Arabs came up with the zero also), their calendar was(at the time) far superior than the european' calendar.Their cities were cleaner and more advance than the europeans' cities, remember the plague was decimating half the population of europe .In Mexico jitomate is what we call here ( in the USA) a tomatothe tomato is what we call here (in the USA) the little green tomatocite>Shrek said:

:

I think the word tomatl derives from xitomatl. According to the Horticultural department of the Univesity of Wisconsin:Tomatoes belong to the genus Lycopersicon (Solanaceae family). Evidence supports the theory the first domesticated tomato was a little yellow fruit, ancestor of L. cerasiforme, grown by the Aztecs of Central America who called it 'xitomatl? (pronounced zee-toe-má-tel), meaning plump thing with a navel, and later called tomati by other Central American tribes. Aztec writings mention tomatoes were prepared with peppers and salt, likely to be the original salsa recipe. The tomato's actual origin is thought to be Peru in South America where it grew wild (like a weed) several thousands of years before making its way north to Central America.[url=http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/vegetables/tomatoes/tomorigin/tomato%20origin.htm]http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/vegetables/tomatoe...[/url]

>

0 Vote

I was not refering to the fruit. I was referring to your labeling nations as tribes.
As far as the fruit is concern, is nice and interesting to know the whole history of why things get their name.

Shrek said:

Totally agree with you. But as I mentioned this was a reference of the webpage of the department of Horticulture from the University of Wisconsin.You also mentioned Aztecas, Mayas and Incas. But if I remember my history classes, yes Mayas inhabited the Central America region, but they were long time gone by the time that Mexicas arrived to the "Valle del Anahuatl", so Mayas were not the ones who named this fruit.

Gus said:

Other Central American tribes'''''''There were not tribes, there were nations, Astecs, Mayas ,Incas were nations. They had an advance civilization, The Mayas came out with the idea of the zero, I know, I know the Arabs came up with the zero also), their calendar was(at the time) far superior than the european' calendar.Their cities were cleaner and more advance than the europeans' cities, remember the plague was decimating half the population of europe .In Mexico jitomate is what we call here ( in the USA) a tomatothe tomato is what we call here (in the USA) the little green tomatocite>Shrek said:

:

I think the word tomatl derives from xitomatl. According to the Horticultural department of the Univesity of Wisconsin:Tomatoes belong to the genus Lycopersicon (Solanaceae family). Evidence supports the theory the first domesticated tomato was a little yellow fruit, ancestor of L. cerasiforme, grown by the Aztecs of Central America who called it 'xitomatl? (pronounced zee-toe-má-tel), meaning plump thing with a navel, and later called tomati by other Central American tribes. Aztec writings mention tomatoes were prepared with peppers and salt, likely to be the original salsa recipe. The tomato's actual origin is thought to be Peru in South America where it grew wild (like a weed) several thousands of years before making its way north to Central America.[url=http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/vegetables/tomatoes/tomorigin/tomato%20origin.htm]http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/vegetables/tomatoe...[/url]

>

0 Vote

Natasha, I like that phrase, Nunca lo habia... means never have I heard it before, correct? gracias smile

0 Vote

Yes, había is the past (imperfect) tense of haber.

Answer this Question
Download our free app
Connect with SpanishDict
Comentarios