I know that "tiene" is formal. But what i'm asking is:

¿Usted tiene prisa? - ¿Tiene prisa?

Is these two sentences has the same formality level when a man talking to another (in second person speech)? Or is the "¿Usted tiene prisa?" will seem something like More formal than "¿Tiene prisa?" ?

In these two sentences has the same formality level when a man talking to another? Or is the "¿Usted tiene prisa?" will seem something like More formal than "¿Tiene prisa?" ?

Hi, prima, nice question smile

Well, tiene can be third person formal "Usted" or he/she/it.

So in theory: "¿Tiene prisa?" can mean

is he , she , it in a hurry?

or

Are you in a hurry (formal second person English) .

However, if you are talking to somebody in second person formal Spanish, it will be considered formal, with or without the pronoun.

• Hello Heidita, Thanks so much for your answer. So we can say these sentences are the same when it comes to "formality", right? And yes, as you thought, i asked the question about the "formal second person" speech. - primalshade Sep 13, 2017 flag

We mostly omit the usted but both are right and I don't find one Is more formal . What I would not do Is repeat usted in a conversation every time I have to conjugate a verb.

• Thank you :) - primalshade Sep 13, 2017 flag
  • So you say these two sentences (with and without "usted") will address the same meaning "You are in hurry" in second person formal speech, right? - primalshade Sep 13, 2017 flag
  • Yes - polenta1 Sep 13, 2017 flag

This works the same in English.

You can see, say, a kid running and, raising your eyebrows ask: "In a hurry?"

Or you can ask (now quite correctly, but common enough): "You in a hurry?"

Or you can ask, fully and correctly: "Are you, young lady, in some sort of desperate hurry that you must run through the corridor as if Genghis Khan himself, followed by a horde of vengeful warriors, were in hot pursuit after your?"

• como siempre, ingenioso, lo que no sé si te va a entender, jeje - Heidita2 Sep 13, 2017 flag
  • Para "entender" estás tú. :-) - Gekkosan Sep 13, 2017 flag

Hello Heidita, Thanks so much for your answer. So we can say these sentences are the same when it comes to "formality", right? And yes, as you thought, i asked the question about the "formal second person" speech. -

Indeed, primal, the very same thing.

The three answers here are by native speakers, all from different countries, but we all agree, it is not necessary or "more formal" to use the pronoun usted .

Hola Jasmin, bienvenida al foro smile

Pues me gusta esta página porque hay mucho de que aprender

Esperamos entonces verte mucho por aquí smile

Jaja eso que