3

I know that "tiene" is formal. But what i'm asking is:

¿Usted tiene prisa? - ¿Tiene prisa?

Is these two sentences has the same formality level when a man talking to another (in second person speech)? Or is the "¿Usted tiene prisa?" will seem something like More formal than "¿Tiene prisa?" ?

4

In these two sentences has the same formality level when a man talking to another? Or is the "¿Usted tiene prisa?" will seem something like More formal than "¿Tiene prisa?" ?

Hi, prima, nice question smile

Well, tiene can be third person formal "Usted" or he/she/it.

So in theory: "¿Tiene prisa?" can mean

is he , she , it in a hurry?

or

Are you in a hurry (formal second person English) .

However, if you are talking to somebody in second person formal Spanish, it will be considered formal, with or without the pronoun.

• Sep 13, 2017

• Hello Heidita, Thanks so much for your answer. So we can say these sentences are the same when it comes to "formality", right? And yes, as you thought, i asked the question about the "formal second person" speech. - primalshade Sep 13, 2017
4

We mostly omit the usted but both are right and I don't find one Is more formal . What I would not do Is repeat usted in a conversation every time I have to conjugate a verb.

• Sep 13, 2017
  • Thank you :) - primalshade Sep 13, 2017
  • So you say these two sentences (with and without "usted") will address the same meaning "You are in hurry" in second person formal speech, right? - primalshade Sep 13, 2017
  • Yes - polenta1 Sep 13, 2017
3

This works the same in English.

You can see, say, a kid running and, raising your eyebrows ask: "In a hurry?"

Or you can ask (now quite correctly, but common enough): "You in a hurry?"

Or you can ask, fully and correctly: "Are you, young lady, in some sort of desperate hurry that you must run through the corridor as if Genghis Khan himself, followed by a horde of vengeful warriors, were in hot pursuit after your?"

• Sep 13, 2017
  • como siempre, ingenioso, lo que no sé si te va a entender, jeje - 006595c6 Sep 13, 2017
  • Para "entender" estás tú. :-) - Gekkosan Sep 13, 2017
3

Hello Heidita, Thanks so much for your answer. So we can say these sentences are the same when it comes to "formality", right? And yes, as you thought, i asked the question about the "formal second person" speech. -

Indeed, primal, the very same thing.

The three answers here are by native speakers, all from different countries, but we all agree, it is not necessary or "more formal" to use the pronoun usted .

• Sep 13, 2017
2

Hola Jasmin, bienvenida al foro smile

Pues me gusta esta página porque hay mucho de que aprender

Esperamos entonces verte mucho por aquí smile

• Sep 14, 2017
0

Jaja eso que

• Sep 14, 2017
0

• Sep 14, 2017