I am quite confused with this topic. EX:

Mañana quiero correr.

Correct or Incorrect?

Would someone mind explaining to me why this right/wrong? My Spanish course is an online course and doesn't go into very much detail.

Thanks in advance xo

• It's exactly the same as in English, in your example - Tomorrow I want to run. - afowen Nov 16, 2013 flag

no necesitas usar el subjuntivo con espero?

Espero poder terminar. This sentence has no change of subject, and you are talking about yourself. I hope I can finish. I hope to be able to finish.

Espero que puedas terminar. Now you are talking about somebody else. I hope (that) you can finish. I hope (that) you are able to finish.

In general, when you have a two verb combination, the first one will be conjugated and the second left in the infinitive. (there can even be a 3rd one, also left as an infinitive.

Your example was perfect.

Mañana quiero correr.

Hoy prefiero dormir.

Quiero intentar ganar

I want to try to win.

Espero poder terminar.

I hope to be able to finish.

You´re doing fine. Keep at it.

• no necesitas usar el subjuntivo con espero? i hope? te espero aqui. espero que llegues en el areopuerto manana!!!!! - chavofelix Nov 16, 2013 flag
  • te espero aqui es....ill wait here for you. sin subjuntivo. - chavofelix Nov 16, 2013 flag
  • encontre weirdo vs. spock...en el seccion de grammar. esperar es una palabra de wish. - chavofelix Nov 16, 2013 flag
  • Chavo when there's no change of subject, that is when the one wishing is the same one who wants to finish you don't need the subjunctive, you just use the infinitive after espero ... - Kiwi-Girl Nov 17, 2013 flag

Great question. The example you gave was perfectly fine, I personally would have said it like this: Quiero correr mañana.

The reason that these two verbs are allowed to be so close is because one of them is in the infinitive, meaning that if you were to directly translate it into English it would mean "To run". Just as with English, in Spanish the only thing that needs to go between querer (want) and most other verbs is the word "to". Think of your example in English vs. Spanish...

Mañana quiero correr Tomorrow I want to run

Now keep in mind that this isn't always the case. Say you want someone else to do something ("I want you to study more"). If that's the case then you will be forming two separate clauses which can be a bit trick for English speakers to do in Spanish. Because it's a little more advanced I'm not going to go into it at all except to say that the verb "want" and "study" would be separated by at least one other word.

I hope this helped smile

Generalmente habrá excepciones pero esta oración tiene razón. Los verbos como ir, venir, aprender, ect poseen una preposición que hay que escribir cuando se utilizan. Los aprenderás como obtienes más experiencia.

• danos ejemplos por favor. gracias. - chavofelix Nov 16, 2013 flag
  • Voy 'a' comer, viene 'a' visitar, aprendo 'a' cocinar - Kiwi-Girl Nov 17, 2013 flag