I just learned a new name "Xavier". However, I heard the teacher say "Javier". So, how do you say the name? If you pronounce "Javier", then why bother having another name with the same sound but different spelling?

In addition to what MrSoprano says, which I sure are correct regional pronunciations, it is also pronounced exactly like Javier in Spanish, but I think the name is more commonly spelled Javier. Since the "sh" sound all but disappeared from Spanish pronunciation the use of "X" to represent it also did, but remains in a few proper nouns and is pronounced like the letter "jota". The 2 most common are "Texas" - now usually spelled "Tejas" - and "México" which will probably remain in that spelling.

• Thanks for telling me that the correct pronunciation for "Texas" is "Tejas" and "Méjico" for "México". - joygogo Sep 5, 2013 flag
  • :) - ian-hill Sep 5, 2013 flag

You should ask the owner of that name to be sure about the pronunciation. In Spain there are 2 variants:

• Xavier with ch, like in chest or chin. Mostly Catalonia.
  • Xavier with sh, like in shampoo or sheriff. Mostly Basque Country.
  • Good advice. If I have any chance to meet any people with that name, I will ask them first. Gracias! - joygogo Sep 5, 2013 flag

I worked with a man named Xavier.(This in the U.S.A). It was pronounced " x-zavier " ,now this could have been his personal preference. I just thought I would add my two bits.

• Thanks! Your answer is much more than two cents worth. Ha! Ha! - joygogo Sep 6, 2013 flag
  • My familiarity with the name in English has it as pronounced "Zavier" (Zayv-your), but English is not used to "X's" occurring at the beginning of a word except xylophone and Xerox. - Jubilado Sep 6, 2013 flag

Xabier (pronounced tsab-yair) is a name of basque origin (etxeberri=new house).

In Galician, Portuguese and Catalan is Xavier (pronounced shab-yair). In the Galician language there's no pronunciation or letter j (in galician usually is written X (sh) xamón (ham)= jamón or ll (english j). ojo (eye)=ollo

In Castilian this name is Javier (pronounced hab-yair)

• "Javier" is pronounced [hab-yair] in Castilian??? You mean [hab-yair] for "jav-ier"? Hmmm, it is hard to associate [yair] with "ier"! - joygogo Sep 6, 2013 flag
  • Thanks, it always helps to hear from the source of a name! - Jubilado Sep 6, 2013 flag