what does "colorín colorado" mean? | SpanishDict Answers

The whole sentence is "Y colorín colorado este cuento se ha acabado"

• and literally, it means "Bright red, this story has finished" - togtog Jul 6, 2013 flag
  • So it is the equivalent of 'and they all lived happily ever after'. A traditional ending to children's stories. - togtog Jul 6, 2013 flag

Togtog,

One nice thing about the SD dictionary is that it gives some of these sayings and their meanings when you type in one of the important words. I typed in 'colorín' and on the page, your saying was interpreted into our English saying. Nice feature.

enter image description here

• ah! I did try typing it in before I asked the question, but it didn't translate it at all! I shall have another try. - togtog Jul 6, 2013 flag
  • It worked this time! Ah well. - togtog Jul 6, 2013 flag
  • Great, glad it helped. - katydew Jul 6, 2013 flag
  • Goodnight, nice story... - annierats Jul 6, 2013 flag

Sinceramente, no creo que tenga un significado. Simplemente es una forma de decir que el cuento se terminó. También rima, como cuando decimos: "fueron felices y comieron perdices"

The fat lady has sung. - It's all over.- It's done and dusted.

• Usually heard in the negative, while the issue is still open--"No está terminado hasta cante la dama gorda." - EugenioCosta Jul 6, 2013 flag
  • Hasta el rabo todo es toro ;) - Kiwi-Girl Jul 6, 2013 flag
  • The-Fat-Lady-Singing is a very recent figure, popularized by country-ish sports casters. It may derive from early television in fact--the main candidate being Kate Smith. - EugenioCosta Jul 6, 2013 flag
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiEnEmVYne0 - EugenioCosta Jul 6, 2013 flag