How to say "mustard greens" in Spanish | SpanishDict Answers

The dictionary on SpanishDict doesn't have an entry for "mustard greens" and I was wondering what the Spanish translation would be.

On WordRefernce I found the following entries under 'mustard greens':

• mostaza parda
  • mostaza oriental
  • mostaza de la India
  • brotes de mostaza

I'm confused about the above translations because I thought 'parda' meant 'black', and saying 'oriental' or 'de la India' is limiting because there are mustard greens from many places, not just Asia. Additionally, I know that 'brotes' means 'sprouts' so I'm not sure if 'mustard sprouts' is the same as 'mustard greens'.

Help!

Attached is a picture of mustard greens in case that helps anyone remember the Spanish name...

Thank you!

Alyssa

mustard greens

Maybe even 'hojas de mostaza verde' as this website photo description suggests? If you want to take it a step further ^_^

hojas de mostaza verde

I wasn't sure what mustard greens were, so I looked for them on Wikipedia, and it said "also known as mustard greens, Indian mustard, Chinese mustard, and leaf mustard..." So it looks like it might be the same in Spanish, the one you use might just depend on the region where you live, if they know what it is at all.

Okay I think I found an answer on my own, if anyone's interested. The picture on this website and the one I posted look like the same plant. The word is 'mostaza verde':

http://www.intersemillas.es/catalogo_detalle_especie.php?tipo=12&id=14

Sometimes a descriptive literally translation is best like "Mostaza verde"

The other thing you can do is put each of the terms you think it might be into google and see what shows up.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

I put in brotes de mostaza, which I thought would be mustard seed sprouts, and I got this:

enter image description here

It feels so good to be right sometimes.

• Hiya Joyce! Your picture looked like something I have seen before: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Dictionary/K/Kaiware-sprouts-5958.aspx - cristalino Feb 20, 2013 flag
  • Yes, you need to be careful with google image searching I've discovered! It's definitely a good starting point though :) - AlyssaLTerry Feb 20, 2013 flag

Anyone for Brassica juncea, to include mostaza india, mostaza marrón y de hoja (brown and leaf mustards) y mostaza Sarepta?

Perhaps a bit too "botanical?" jeje