La Palabra del Día: "pésimo" | SpanishDict Answers

pésimo ( peh'-see-moh )

adjective ( dreadful, awful )

We are looking for an official corrector for the Spanish sentences. If you are interested, please send me a PM.

Estamos buscando un corrector oficial de las frases en español. Si usted está interesado, por favor envíeme un PM.

Sinmeta will be correcting the Spanish sentences as his time permits. We still need more help with this very important task. Please correct your sentences according to his suggestions.

There are many native English speakers here, most of us can offer great suggestions to the English sentences. I will do my best to go through them all, too. Use today's Word of the Day in your own Spanish sentence (and include the English translation as well). Try to use the word in a completely new way and vote on the sentences you like best. The winner will be chosen based upon the correct use of the word as well as the number of votes.

Guidelines:

Write sentences at least 5 words long, but don't write a paragraph either. Write your Spanish sentence, but include the English translation as well. Make the corrections suggested by other users and moderators in the comments section (try not to use personal pronouns unless absolutely necessary). Use your own words! (Don't use a translator, copy from a book, use song lyrics, etc.) Have fun experimenting with Spanish.

enter image description here

How to post a picture

Examples:

1. Maite la pasó pésimo en la cita de anoche. No quiere volver a ver a ese muchacho.

Maite had a dreadful time on the date last night. She does not want to see that guy again.

2. Muy pronto después de su llegada en Argentina, Eduardo comenzó a sentirse mal. La muerte ya lo estaba alcanzando y la madre de Claudia se sentía pésima de que estuviera solo.

Soon after his arrival in Argentina, Eduardo began to feel dreadful. Death was almost upon him and Claudia's mother felt awful that he was alone.

Notes

The 2nd example sentence is part of our Word of the Day "novela" series. Check it out from the beginning on February 1 and stay tuned tomorrow for the next chapter!

Until we have an official Spanish corrector, please help with any suggestions to the Spanish sentences as you are able. It is very much appreciated. Thank you all for being here at SD and for participating in La Palabra Del Dia!

enter image description here

• I'm the 11th player and the 3rd voter ?!?!?!? - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Most of the members are fasting (on voting ) jajaj !:). - shish75 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Hola Rac! :)) Gracias. - iana01 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Ladies, haven't we all been on dates like Maite? A guy looking at you as if you were perfect and you only thinking ..... ehhh no, sorrrrrrrry, I do not want to hurt you, but noooooo! - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Remember, Beauty is in the eye of the behold - gohern Feb 17, 2013 flag

Creo que este corte de pelo va a estar pésimo.

I think that this haircut is going to be dreadful.

enter image description here

• Thank God it will grow out. - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Oof! - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • She isn't finished yet ;-))) - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • It reminds me how hard it is to grow out the bangs! - pmikan-pam Feb 18, 2013 flag

Cuando el clima está muy pésimo , todavía se puede disfrutar.

Even when the weather is dreadful, you can still enjoy it.

Melbourne Beach Bathing Boxes.

enter image description here

• That looks like fun ! - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • That was taken from the inside of a "Bathing Box " there are quite a few around the Melbourne beaches , they sell for about $ 300.000 depending on the beach, one went for $750.000 - ray76 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Wow! I have never heard of that. Interesting. - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • I think it should be está instead of es here. - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Is that the same as a cabana? - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag

La película fue pésima. Las pocas personas que todavía estaban allí, se habían quedado dormido.

The movie was terrible. The few people that were still there, had fallen asleep.

enter image description here

• Yes, that must be the reason ;-))) - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Maybe there is something in the popcorn !:). - shish75 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Hola Mc!:)) En este caso es más interesante ver a las personas que están viendo la película que ver la película. :)))) - iana01 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Isn't that nearly always the case, Iana: real people are much more interesting ;-))))) - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Hopefully they didn't have to pay too much. jeje - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag

De vez en cuando la señora tiene un día pésimo.

From time to time the lady has a really bad day.

enter image description here

If you are having a dreadful day, just listen to a violinist.

Si estás tener un día pésimo, solo oye a una violinista.

enter image description here

Cada vez trato de cocinar una comida elegante, acaba sabiendo a algo pésimo. Me debería atenerse con mi cocina irlandesa básica. Con éxito puedo hervir casi cualquier cosa. Every time I try to cook a fancy meal, it ends up tasting like something dreadful. I should stick with my basic Irish cuisine. I can successfully boil just about anything.Corned Beef and Cabbage

• You can cook for me, that looks great! - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Acaba por saber a algo pésimo (o acaba sabiendo a algo pésimo). - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Gracias, sinmeta. - olblueiiii Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Don't understand the use of "sabiendo" or "saber" here for "tasting"? - Ansionnach Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Saber is to know, but it is also to taste in the intransitive form. I could have worded it differently: ...termina por cata como algo pésimo. - olblueiiii Feb 18, 2013 flag

Este invierno el tiempo ha sido pésimo, frente al tiempo durante el invierno pasado en el cual hizo tiempo mucho más agradable.

This winter the weather has been horrible, as opposed to the weather last winter in which the weather was much more pleasant.

• Este invierno ha sido pésimo, comparado con el invierno pasado, en el que el tiempo fué mucho mas agradable. - 3smeralda Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Thanks 3smeralda! - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • You can barely tell the seasons apart here in New Orleans. - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag

"There is nothing more terrible than to see ignorance in action."(Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe)

No hay nada más pésimo que ver la ignorancia en acción . enter image description here

• Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832) German poet, novelist and dramatist. - shish75 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Hellllup, what a picture to illustrate it ;-))))) - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • oh! Hola Shish! - iana01 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Boys will be boys. - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • I hope he'll still be a (complete) boy, after this stupid stunt! - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag

Tengo estado del ánimo pésimo, quando cuando el sielo está gris.

I have am in a terrible mood when the sky is grey. enter image description here

• ... cuando el cielo .... I am in a terrible mood when the sky is grey. - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Gracias, Sinmeta. - kat9wa Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • I know how you feel. - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag

He did not feel terrible despite the fact that it was raining very heavily, because he was an optimist. He always found out the way to solve the problem.

No se sintió pésimo a pesar de que estaba lloviendo fuertamente, porque era optimista. Siempre encontraba la manera de resolver el problema.

enter image description here

"El amor en los tiempos del cólera" es una de las novelas más famosas de García Marquez, pero la película a muchos decepcionó. La película fue una pésima adaptación del libro. Y es que una novela no es un guión que debe interpretarse literalmente. Hay que tener la suficiente habilidad para interpretar lo que el libro dice y plasmar esa interpretación en la pantalla grande.

"Love in times of cholera" is one of the most famous novels of García Márquez, but the film let down many people. The film was a dreadful adaptation of the book. A novel is not just a script that must interpret literally. It should have enough ability to interpret what the book says and express that interpretation on the big screen.

• ¡Perfecto! - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • O, another great little essay from you. I read the book, but have never seen the movie. The title song by Shakira however is soooooo beautiful: 'hay amores'. - mcl020 Feb 18, 2013 flag
  • I agree, the book is much better. - annierats Feb 18, 2013 flag

Mi paraguas quedó en un pésimo estado luego de la tormenta.

My umbrella was in an awful state after the storm.

enter image description here

• Mine doe that and I feel like Mary Poppins. - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • does - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • I've had to throw away a few like that. - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • I have stopped buying/using umbrellas years ago. I miss the special skills required to handle one ;-( - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • I do, however, have a friend who makes wonderful art out of 'rescued' umbrellas. She really roams the streets searching for umbrellas (like the one in the picture) that were left behind. - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag

La mujer en la foto tiene una expresión pésimo en la cara. Espero que no se le congele así.

The woman in the photo has a dreadful expression on her face. I hope it doesn't freeze like that.

• I remember my mom telling me that. - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • La mujer en la foto tiene una expresión pésima en la cara. Espero que no se le congele así. - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Joyce, we'd love you to share the picture with us ;-))) - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • The one at the top of the page. Ella es una limón. - JoyceM Feb 20, 2013 flag

He aquí un chiste en lo que un hombre piensa decirle una mentira pésima a una chica: Un hombre que tiene sesenta años le dice a su amigo, "Tengo un problema. Estoy enamorado de una chica que tiene sólo veinte años. Crees que le gustaría casarse conmigo si le diga que tengo sólo cincuenta años?" Su amigo le dice, "Tienes mucho dinero?" El primer hombre dice, "Tengo algunos millones en el banco." Al escuchar esto, el amigo le dice que la chica estará feliz de casarse con él. El hombre de sesenta años dice, "Pero crees que estaría dispuesta a casarse conmigo si le digo que tengo sólo cincuenta años?" Su amigo le dice, "Mejor que le digas que tienes ochenta años!"

Here's a joke in which a man plans to tell an awful lie to a girl:
A sixty year old man says to his friend, "I have a problem. I'm in love with a girl who is only twenty years old. Do you think she would like to marry me if I tell her that I'm only fifty years old?" His friends says, "Do you have much money?" The first man says, "I have several million in the bank." Upon hearing this, the friend tells him that the girl will be happy to marry him. The sixty year old man says, "But do you think she would be more inclined to marry me if I tell her that I'm only fifty years old?" His friend tells him, "It would be better if you tell her you're eighty!"

enter image description here

• I once read something like: if you think you can buy people, you must not be surprised if they treat you like a living wallet. - mcl020 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • When "solo" is short for "solamente", it takes an accent ("sólo"). "Si le digo" - can never have present subjunctive after "si". - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Also, in the last quote, the two verbs have to agree in conjugation - either tú or Ud. "Mejor que le diga(s) que tiene(s) ochenta años." - sinmeta Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • That's funny Grace ! - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Thanks, Annie. :) Good point, mcl. Sinmeta, thanks for the corrections. I'm still not sure about sólo/solo. I thought it was now acceptable to use solo without the accent when it means "only". I think I read that somewhere. Also, the verbs have to agree - GraceM Feb 17, 2013 flag

Cuando ha muerto un amigo es muy difícil saber como dar el pésame a sus parientes.

When a friend has died it's really hard to know how to express one's condolences to his relations.

• This is not the same word, but they are so alike, I thought it may be useful.. - annierats Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Yes, it is. It just feels like sorry is not enough. - rac1 Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Glad to see you back! - gohern Feb 17, 2013 flag
  • Wrong word. Not the same - Politically_ Feb 18, 2013 flag
  • I know, politically, but they are clearly very related words. - annierats Feb 18, 2013 flag