How to say im sorry in puerto rican??

• Hello, welcome to the forum! - rac1 Dec 20, 2012 flag
  • lol. You must be kidding about the "Puerto Rican" part... - -cae- Dec 21, 2012 flag
  • Welcome to the forum! Please remember to use proper capitalization and punctuation in your posts. Thanks!! - --Mariana-- Dec 23, 2012 flag

Puerto Rican is not a language. Can you speak Alabaman or Alaskan? Same difference. English is English inasmuch as Spanish is Spanish.

Puerto Rican is not a language in and of itself (it is Spanish), however, since I have lived in Puerto Rico, I know from experience that some words, idioms, and pronunciations are different. It might be reasonable to say it is a sort of Spanish dialect (?). Perhaps you could compare it to Jamaican English versus "standard" English. If you speak "standard" Spanish to a Puerto Rican, they will understand you, but if they speak back to you in "Puerto Rican Spanish", you probably will understand most/some of what they said, but maybe not all. It's not so different it's un-understandable, but still different all the same. For examples of things we say differently, we call orange juice "jugo de china" (who knows why), but pretty much anywhere else that is Spanish-speaking calls it "jugo de naranja". So there are some differences, but generally not significant ones.
In regard to how you say "I'm sorry", it's just "lo siento." However, that's just for the "I'm sorry" that you would use to convey sympathy. If you bump into someone at the store, unlike what you might say in English ("I'm sorry"), you would say "perdón" or "perdóname", which is literally "pardon me."

• One of the biggest reasons why Puerto Rican Spanish is different from, say, Castilian Spanish, is because the native language of the indigenous people (the Tainos) became mixed with Spanish, and evolved into "Puerto Rican Spanish." - latinabi Feb 4, 2013 flag
  • Puerto Rican Spanish can also be quite slang, as we tend to drop the last letters of a word (Bueno día vs. Buenos días) and slur words together (Ta' bien vs. Esta bien), but that's an entirely different issue in itself. - latinabi Feb 4, 2013 flag

In Spanish - Lo siento