Soy vs. Estoy? | SpanishDict Answers

What's the difference between soy and estoy? Soy triste. Estoy triste. Difference, anyone??

• Welcome to the forum! - rac1 Nov 7, 2012 flag

Under the Learn tab, see Lesson 1, Section 11 (Learn/Learn Spanish/Lesson 1/ser vs estar.

Triste is an emotion so it would be 'estoy triste'.

• Good answer. - rac1 Nov 7, 2012 flag
  • Hi kirk1, in this case it's possible to use "triste" with "ser". - maestroanton Nov 7, 2012 flag

If you say "estoy triste" you mean that you're temporally sad. If you say "soy triste" it means that generally that's your mood in every day life.

http://lema.rae.es/drae/?val=triste

1. adj. De carácter o genio melancólico. Antonia es mujer muy triste.
  2. adj. Doloroso, enojoso, difícil de soportar. Es triste haber trabajado toda la vida y encontrarse a la vejez sin pan.

Yes, I agree. Triste is normally used to express a current emotion but it could be a characteristic of a person.

As I understand it, the question is whether "triste" is a condition, or a characteristic. If a condition, then "Estoy triste". If a characteristic, then "Soy triste".

Clearer is "Soy un hombre" - a characteristic, and "Estoy enfermo" a (temporary) condition, one would hope.

to go off of what maestroantonio said,

"If you say "estoy triste" you mean that you're temporally sad. If you say "soy triste" it means that generally that's your mood in every day life."

when you use "soy triste", it means you were born sad and are a generally sad person. "estoy triste" would mean you are sad now, but are not usually. for example if you got a bad grade on a test, you might be temporarily sad and use "estoy triste por el examen"

Need an answer? As I got it, estoy abburido/a is ''I am bored.'' but if you write ''Soy abburido/a'' it's: ''I am boring.'' - Hope you got it. Chao!

Estar: 1.To describe momentary mood like being sad, being angry, being happy -estoy alegre

2.to describe Location something or someone -nosotros estamos en la clase

3.Place(Location) of cities and countries & Place of mountains and mountain ranges and rivers and other geographic phenomena -Irán está en asia -los andes estan en Europa

Ser: 1.job(Occupation) -soy medíca

2.nationality -soy española

3.Moods and personality characteristics and moral & Moods and personality characteristics and moral specification -Juan es amable

4.name & surname Soy sara.

Look for a better answer here amiga

SpanisDict refrences

and here

Why this is "hidden" never ceases to amaze me ' this question must have been asked 1000 times.