"¿Donde hay biblioteca?" or "¿Donde esta la biblioteca?" or both?

It depends

¿Donde hay una biblioteca?. Used when you need a ¨biblioteca¨ but you dont know where there is one. For example in the street

¿Donde esta la biblioteca?. Used when you need find the ¨biblioteca¨ where you know that there is one. For example in a school

Hope this helps. Correct my english please

• Thank you! You english is great. One issue: but you dont know where there is one --> but you dont know where it is OR but you dont know where the library is - rockinik Oct 31, 2012 flag
  • Your* english is great - rockinik Oct 31, 2012 flag
  • ....don't know where one is. ...when you need to find the.... my English please. Great explanation Kib. - katydew Oct 31, 2012 flag

When you use the first one you are not saying which library you are looking for specifically.Where there is a library ( I would use "Where can I find a library )

However when you are using the second one you are asking about a specific library.Where is the library ? So that library must be somewhere both you and the person you are asking know.Correct me If I am mistaken.