A lo hecho, pecho is a very common Spanish phrase. Can you guess what it means and share it with the forum?

Here's an example of usage:

Ya no te martirices más, Eduardo. A lo hecho, pecho.

enter image description here

• P.s. Just got your PM...no idea why a notice didn't show up in my email box. - --Mariana-- Oct 21, 2012 flag
  • No worries. Thanks for your PM. I did reply to it already. Happy Sunday! - francobollo Oct 21, 2012 flag

No idea why "pecho" is thrown in there, but I'd say...

What's done is done.

(It's all water under the bridge).

• Pecho (chest, not breast) is figurative speech as the part of the body you use the most to shield yourself against an attack. - francobollo Oct 21, 2012 flag

My guess is that it's an analogy to life sending you a hard lesson, in which you take a bad blow, and it feels like a kick to the chest.

Like the 2010 World Cup chest kick, here. Remember that one?

enter image description here

• I just figured this out and it's a very Spanish concept. ¡Que macho! You've got to love those Spanish men! - JoyceM Oct 21, 2012 flag
  • Not sure it conveys the full meaning of the expression. - francobollo Oct 21, 2012 flag
  • Okay, what I learned is that when difficult things happen, you take it like a man, on the chest. Is that right? - JoyceM Oct 22, 2012 flag

'Responder a hecho con pecho mofa; es una forma de disminuir la importancia o el impacto de lo hecho. Following "hecho" with "pecho" is a way to mock "hecho" and diminish its importance.

It´s like saying "Facts schacks. I don´t care about the facts!" or You need a badge to enter the employees room, sir. Badges, schmadges! I own this place and I´ll go where I want without a stinking badge!"

It is an expression to manifest the necessity or desirability to face up the consequences of any mistake or failure and not spending time regreting about it.

If you make a mistake stick up your chest, raise the head and don't lament.