The Grito de Dolores: enter link description here

In the early hours of September 16th, 1810, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, a priest in the small town of Dolores, Guanajuato, rang the church bell to gather the townspeople. He called for the people of Mexico to rise up against the Spanish Crown, thus initiating Mexico's War of Independence. The country did not achieve independence until 1821, but it is this event, known as the Grito de Dolores which is commemorated every year in town squares across Mexico.

-

La Independencia de México marcó una etapa muy importante ya que se dejó de depender de España y se convirtió en un país libre y soberano, pero no fue sencillo obtenerla ya que el proceso duró 11 años de extensa lucha del pueblo de México por obtener su libertad, esta lucha está dividida en 4 etapas:

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

• Great job, Ray! ¡Viva México! - Noetol Sep 15, 2012 flag
  • I will have to remind my husband about this. His parents were born in Mexico but he was born in the USA. - Nilda-Ballar Sep 15, 2012 flag

¡Viva México! ¡No hay dos!

enter image description here

And now, let the party begin!

¡Y ahora, ¡que empiece la fiesta!

enter image description here

• I shall be at the party in one hours time. - ray76 Sep 16, 2012 flag
  • Viva Ray!! - Nilda-Ballar Sep 16, 2012 flag
  • It was bigger and grander than I thought , I was astounded by the amount of Mexicans living in Melbourne , they have a community looking after each other , even going into nursing homes to talk with them in Spanish. - ray76 Sep 16, 2012 flag

We are having our party here in Melbourne , starting in one hour.

I hope that I am not boring you with this , but I am so excited

to be going to this celebration with the hope of speaking Spanish.

And tasting the food and learning something of their culture. enter image description here

• Not boring at all. Please post a detailed account of the events. - heliotropema Sep 16, 2012 flag
  • I was amazed at how close a community of Mexicans we have here in Victoria , have a look at this link to see what they are doing , it is quite extraordinary.http://www.mexvic.org.au/ - ray76 Sep 16, 2012 flag

The fiesta was a great success , I was amazed at how many Mexicanos

there are in Melbourne . There was a booth there to help prospective

migrants from México to settle in Melbourne , I now have the address of

a community group which I can help and speak with . A great day with

terrific fun loving people " Viva México " .enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

Voy a gritar, "¡Viva México!" también...

enter image description here

• I hope that "Juan sees this Sandy. Thank you . - ray76 Sep 16, 2012 flag

Yes. El Grito is tonight. I'm not going. Staying home to watch the Chavez Jr. boxing match.

Yet, so many people think cinco de mayo is the main event. Including myself a few years ago.

This is Federation square with probably the most ugly building in

the world , but a great place for a Fiesta.

enter image description here