When studying English vocabulary, it is extremely helpful to learn Latin roots, prefixes, and suffixes. However English is not based just on Latin. It also uses Germanic and Greek roots, prefixes, and suffixes. Spanish, however, is Latin-based. Knowing that, it is a good strategy to learn how to manipulate a word into other words. For instance, bailar (verb, to dance), is related to el baile (noun, the dance), la bailarina (the ballerina), and el bailador (the dancer). This is something that beginning learners don't take into account.

So, the question is this, what kind of related word groups can you think of in Spanish. The larger the related group, the more words we just learned effortlessly.

I'll give you some examples:

1. escritura, escribano (writing, notary public) both come from the verb escribir (to write)

2. corazonada (hunch), descorazonar (to dishearten) both come from corazón (heart)

3. limpieza, limpiador (cleaning, cleaner) both come from the verb limpiar (to clean)

4. cantante, cantadora, cantatela, canción, cancionero (singer, Spanish flamenco singer, same old story, song, songbook) all come from the verb cantar (to sing).

• So I can add escritorio to escribir. I didn't know the notary public response. Good one. I really like the "corazón" group, new to me. Cantadora can mean a more generic "singer", correct? "Cantatela", looks related to words with "tele" as well? - rheit Sep 6, 2012 flag