My mother is a preschool teacher at a school attended by a large population of Hispanic families. Most of the children in her class are bilingual, however, many of the parents do not speak English and so the school makes an effort to use both English and Spanish on everything it sends home.

Last night my mother asked me to translate a few phrases for her, and I've done my best but thought it better to check first before passing it on to her.

She sends home the children's work every week on Friday in what we call a Friday Folder. She was looking for a few sentences to communicate what the purpose of the folder was, and that the parents should keep the completed papers that are sent home and return the empty folder on Mondays.

With this in mind I wrote this: "Carpeta de los viernes: Por favor mantenga estes papeles a su casa y devuelva la carpeta a la escuela los lunes."

Is that correct? I wanted to say something like "Friday Folder: Please keep these papers at home and return the folder to school on Monday."

I appreciate your time in helping me with the translation and the improvement of my Spanish in general.

Hey, Gracie, welcome to the forum!!

Almost perfect....

: "Carpeta de los viernes: Por favor mantenga estos papeles en casa y devuelva la carpeta a la escuela los lunes."

• Muchas gracias por su ayuda. This will be very useful for my mom. Communication with Spanish speaking families is one of the most difficult and frustrating parts of her work simply because of the language barrier. - Gracie_Lou Aug 16, 2012 flag
  • I think I may introduce my mother to this site, actually. She often has translation questions that I can't answer confidently (still being a student myself) and this site and the people on it have proven intelligent and reputable. - Gracie_Lou Aug 16, 2012 flag