What is "chulísimo"? | SpanishDict Answers

Does anyone know what "chulisimo" means? It was posted as a response to a post on Facebook; a response to someone from Spain.

• Hello, welcome to the forum! We have a translator at the top of the page for one word translations such as this. - rac1 Jul 19, 2012 flag
  • I don't think that the translator would help with this one. - --Mariana-- Jul 19, 2012 flag
  • When I used it, it translated as "very cute". - rac1 Jul 19, 2012 flag
  • Rac, beware automatic translators.. - annierats Jul 19, 2012 flag
  • Well, while machine translation can be chancy, looks like it nailed this one. ;-) - DJ_Huero Jul 19, 2012 flag

Hi and welcome to the forum.

"Chulo" in slang refers to someone who is cute, hot, good looking, etc., so "chulísimo" would mean very cute, etc.

Chulo can mean a pimp. High risk word anyway, with many associations.. Best avoided, even if rac says it means cute. It does seem to mean cool in some places but I think we need a native here.. Mostly it sems to mean super cool.

• I guess it won't be word of the day anytime soon! lol - 0095ca4c Jul 19, 2012 flag
  • Haha, I don't say it means cute, the SD translator did. - rac1 Jul 19, 2012 flag

Bienvenido al foro dallady,

Good question amigo -a. I've never heard it called slang but I won't contest that. The important answer here is, "chulo" means cute directed to a male because of it ending in O. "Chulísimo" is the superlative form expressing that male is the most cute aka cutest. I've never heard a negative connotation to this word by itself, however, the phrase "papi chulo" is used to describe a "pimp". Hope that helps! =]

Saludos,

DJ ((( d(-_-)b )))

Edit: The most common words for "cool" in the popularity sense are "chido" & "chévere". I just noticed this is involving Spain and I know their word for "cool" is "guay".

• Thanks DJ, I've actually never heard it, seems it is usually super-cool, except when it's abit attractivly warm, perhaps.. - annierats Jul 19, 2012 flag
  • Well, my Spanish is based on Mexican, Cuban, & Puerto Rican influence. That's what I'm around most, however, I've conversed with others just not with that word. ;-P - DJ_Huero Jul 19, 2012 flag
  • (I can't speak for others... especially Spainiards jeje) - DJ_Huero Jul 19, 2012 flag

''Chulisimo'' is ''great'' or ''cool'' I speak spanish ._.

• Welcome to the forum, I see you just joined us. Thanks for your input! You should fill out your profile so we can know you better and how to base your feedback. =] - DJ_Huero Jul 19, 2012 flag