¿Alguien sabe de donde viene la palabra ''okie dokie'' y que significa? | SpanishDict Answers

¿Alguien sabe de donde viene la palabra ''okie dokie'' y que significa?

Does anyone know where it comes from the word and ''okie dokie'' it means?

• Does anyone know where the term "okie dokie" comes from and what it means? - sinsonte Jun 7, 2012 flag
  • Thanks I'll correct - arajei Jun 7, 2012 flag

Okey-dokey

Origin

This little phrase is a variant of okay. It is 20th century American and first appears in print in a 1932 edition of American Speech.

There are several alternative spellings - okay-doke, okey-doke, okee-doke, etc.

All of them are just a perky reduplicated variants of okay, utilizing that favourite device of two-word phrases - rhyming. As a reduplication it is properly spelled with a hyphen, although it is often given without.

Like okay, 'okey-doke' is used to indicate that all is well, e.g. 'everything is okay here', but may be used when responding positively to a request.

• I have been hearing it all my life as I lived in the greater Manchester area of England but didn't know that it originated from America. - kenwilliams Jun 7, 2012 flag
  • Mariana - thanks for your answer, I think I asked a question a bit strange but I needed this information for a task - arajei Jun 8, 2012 flag
  • Kenwilliams - I had no idea where the word was out. - arajei Jun 8, 2012 flag

As far as I know, it´s just a silly slang thing (medio naco de por sí) and it means "OK."

Pero los niños, no necesariamente siendo nacos, a veces dicen "okie dokie artichokie" pues viniendo de ellos, esto suena muy gracioso.

• thanks - arajei Jun 7, 2012 flag
  • estoy de acuerdo...es muy gracioso. Lo oí cuando tenía tres años. Era muy común entonces. - viejito Jun 7, 2012 flag