More information please.

Morenito is correct. I'll just expand a little on his explanation. Spanish is like a big tree with many branches. The base of the tree came from the mother country(Spain), where over many years Spanish dveloped as a language influenced by many other languages, and cultures. Let's refer to the Language of Spain as "Castillan."

The branches of the tree represent all the changes to the language when Spain went around the world colonizing. The colonies were a mixture of many cultures, Indian, african, european, etc.The influences of these cultures on the language of Spain(Castillan), were profound, as words were needed to describe things never before encountered in Spain, religions, products, animals, customs etc.

Each branch of the tree grew in it's own direction fullfilling the needs of that particular country.

Throughout the Spanish speaking world local Spanish is influenced by the dominant culture of the country in which it is spoken, and all the variables listed above. Everything goes back to the tree trunk. The Spanish of Spain gives life and direction to the many dialects found throughout the world.

In my opinion, when one is confronted with so many variables , so many idioms, and unique modes of expressions, it is well advised to focus on the purest form of Spanish you can find. I think that would be Spain.

I'd be interested in the opinions of others.

Good question by the way.

• What an excellent explanation. I am going to direct people to this answer when they ask about speaking Mexican Spanish, or Puerto Rican Spanish, etc. - Nilda-Ballar Apr 12, 2012 flag
  • Great explanation! - kennou45 Apr 12, 2012 flag
  • How about learning vosotros? Most of the world doesn't use it, but it's used in Castillan. Is it worth learning it? - HackerKing Nov 18, 2012 flag
  • La RAE no está de acuerdo contigo Don. Además, no creo que sea una buena idea enfocarse en el español de España... ya que la mayoría de los hispanohablantes no hablan así ni usan esas conjugaciones. Mal consejo, a decir verdad. - QFour Nov 18, 2012 flag
  • As I said, It is only my opinion. - Don_José Nov 18, 2012 flag

They are like British and American, but there are, some different idioms & slangs and .... xD

Well most importantly you would have different dialect in every country

I would add to all that has been said, that there is a main difference with the way Spanish is spoken in Argentina. We use what's called "voseo". Make a search and you will find at least a couple of great posts explaining what's about.

Here is a link to the one I believe is the best.

• "Veinte mundos" has a very good article on the subject. - faliron Apr 12, 2012 flag
  • Vos is used in Colombia, much of Central America and Uruguay as well as far as I understand. - afowen Apr 15, 2012 flag
  • Tienes razón Afowen. He oído voseo de venezolanos, colombianos, nicaragüenses etc - QFour Nov 18, 2012 flag

Nothing much. Slang, tu, vos, regionalismos, forma de vestir, cultura, el acento de la gente...

In the early history of Argentina, they had a labor shortage and many Italians immigrated to Argentina to find work that was not available in Italy. The number of Italians living in Argentina at that time was enough to significantly influence the developing nation's language and culture. You will see quite a difference in the Spanish spoken in Argentina compared to Mexico because of the Italian influence. It is true that in all Latin American nations, the native languages spoken there at the time of the Spanish conquest influenced the Spanish that is now spoken in each of those nations. But, in Argentina, the influence by the Italians on their Spanish was much greater.

Sometimes the "root" of Spanish's origins are found in the languages of Spanish American countries themselves, and no longer in Spain.

In linguistics, the language that travels is more conservative than the one that remains in the mother country. The English of Canada and the USA is closer to the language of Shakespeare, then, than what one finds today in London. In similar fashion, the forms one finds in Ibero America reflect a Spanish of yore. The «vos» (as compared to the «tú») found in Rioplatense Spanish (Uruguay and Argentina), parts of Chile, parts of Colombia, most of Central America, etc. reflects an archaic form no longer employed in Peninsular Spanish.

That being said, one should not look at the Spanish of Spain as the purest form. On the contrary--it has evolved more radically than the Spanish of Latin America. For example, the «vosotros» form of the second person plural came after the colonization of America. It remained in Spain and is not used in Spanish America. «Vos» came first, then «vosotros.»

If you'd like to hear what English sounded like centuries ago, you would have more a chance of that by going to Newfoundland than by speaking to someone in England today.

Great answers, one and all.

I do not know if the Spanish of Spain is the purest form or not, and do not really care. Your focus should be on the Spanish of the country or regiion is which you will spend your time. I for one have no use for the Spanish of Spain as I will never find myself in Spain. To me the most important Spanish is that of Mexico, where I live. Not to mention that is the Spanish spoken by the most Spanish speaking people.

• Tienes razón, aunque te equivocaste en lo que se refiere a ciertas cosas. Pues, concretamente... lo de "the Spanish spoken by the most Spanish speaking people".... en uno solo país.. claro.... en el mundo. no. - QFour Nov 18, 2012 flag
  • Creo que un 37% por ciento de los hispanohablantes son mexicanos... lo que significa que hay un 63% de varias otras culturas y gente y acentos. No país es ni más ni menos importante debido a la cantidad de gente, lol. - QFour Nov 18, 2012 flag
  • Tampoco creo que se debe enfatizar uno de los varios acentos de España simplemente porque el idioma proviene de ahí.. lol.. según el RAE... España no tiene el acento más "puro" del español. como explica alguien en este hilo. - QFour Nov 18, 2012 flag
  • I did a poor job of writing. There may be 63% who speak other than Mexican Spanish but there is no single block that is larger. Thus that 63% is more fragmented. And if you include the millions of Spanish speakers in the US who are predominately... - gringojrf Nov 18, 2012 flag
  • ...from Mexico then the 37% grows even larger. But all of that is off of my point which is the the most important Spanish is the one that you personally will be using. If you live in Europe that Spain's Spanish is probably best for you. If you live.... - gringojrf Nov 18, 2012 flag

He oído que el español más puro es de los colombianos. Spain - Argentine - Mexican Spanish. Personalmente, mis acentos favoritos han sido de Chile, Venezuela y Colombia.

Spain = La pronunciación de la zeta... la que suena como "th" en inglés. Azul/Athul. Vosotros (en vez de ustedes). (Las cosas más evidentes)

Argentina = Sheísmo... la pronunciación de (ll) y (y) en palabras. Yo/Sho - Playa/Plasha. La entonación al final de las palabras. (Las cosas más evidentes)

México = Se pronuncia todos las palabras usualmente, y dialectos de ahí puede ser cantaditos.

Son generalizaciónes... y hay acentos diferentes en todos estos países, no hay un cierto acento de México/Argentina/Spain. Hay entonaciónes diferentes... y se emplea acentos phonemes diferentes en ciertos lugares.