In Spanish, where do you place a descriptive adjective when asking a question?

I have here an example of the exercises from the John Kenneth book I am using, and he constructed them as:

¿Es hermoso el español?

¿Es interesante el español?

¿Son hermosos el inglés y el espanol?

Is he correct? How and why?

I translated this as: Is Spanish beautiful?

Is Spanish interesting?

Are English and Spanish beautiful?

Am I correct in my translation?

Lastly: the word Es -- is IS in english right? From the verb ser- to be? w/c is permanent! but asking a questions illustrated above is it still permanent even it is not sure?

Please answer it correctly! thanks....

• Please write your sentences clearly and with proper capitalization. I fixed some of your errors so others could better understand you, but next time do it on your own! - missy8888 Apr 10, 2012 flag
  • What does "W/C" mean? - missy8888 Apr 10, 2012 flag
  • w/c --- means "which" missy888.. a shorcut of it! - garriel Apr 11, 2012 flag

¿Es hermoso el español?

¿Es interesante el español?

¿Son hermosos el inglés y el espanol?

Is he correct? How and why?

Is Spanish interesting?

Are English and Spanish beautiful?

Am I correct in my translation?

Please answer it correctly! thanks....

1. Yes, he is correct. That is how questions are formed in Spanish. Verb, adjective, subject (subject is sometimes optional, but not in these cases since you are specifically asking if they are beautiful).

¿Eres guapa? (are you beautiful) or ¿Eres guapa tú? are both acceptable.

¿Es mejor escribir o hablar? (in this case, escribir and hablar are each a subject of the sentence, but they are necessary because you are asking an opinion of one or the other).

1. Yes, your translations are correct.

2. "Es" is Ser in third person singular, in present indicative form. It is used for él, ella, Ud or "it." If you are asking something plural, then you need to use a plural form of ser, which would be "son" (as was used in one of the examples from your book).

3. I am not really sure what you mean by permanent or what "W/C" means, so I cannot answer you there. It is a question, so of course it is unsure. But if you are asking if it should be subjunctive or something, then no, it doesn´t need to be subjunctive. But I don´t think that´s what you are asking.

• thank you very much missy888 you are so good.... thanks for your answer.... God bless you! - garriel Apr 11, 2012 flag
  • answers rather... missy888 w/c means which a shortcut of it! - garriel Apr 11, 2012 flag