What is 'essay' in spanish? | SpanishDict Answers

I want to say, 'I will write an essay'. The internet is giving me 'ensayo', but that translates back as a test or rehersal.

(I've got 'Voy a' as I will)

If you're not too busy, I'd also like to know what 'I will draw a webcomic' would be, and does one 'draw' (dibujar?) a comic or is there a different term you use.

Thanks a ton.

Persephone grin

Hi Perse,

You can say: "Voy a escribir una monografía o un ensayo o un tratado" The last two are very formal and usually imply the item will be published. You can also say "Voy a redactar un documento o hacer una composición".

Dibujar does mean to draw. You may also use diseñar. "Voy a dibujar/diseñar una tira cómica para Internet".

I hope this helps.

The word "un ensayo" can be used for "essay." However, there are also a couple of other options. You could use either "monografía" or "composición." For "I will write an essay," you could say a couple things. You're first option, the most proper option, would be to use the future tense of the verb escribir (to write). In this case, you would use escribiré: Yo escribiré un composición. However, you could also use the tense you have now, which is the ir + a + infinitive structure. In this case, your sentence would be "Voy a escribir un ensayo." There is no difference between the two words for essay in those sentences, I just wanted you to see a variation.

And I'm not too sure about the comics, I've never came across that situation before. Good luck!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I think "ensayo" is correct...look here:

1. m. Género literario al que pertenece este tipo de escrito.

Yes, you "dibujar" a comic.

"Ensayo" is more formal. Like for a real literary work.

For a school assignment, I would say "monografía" is the usual way to call it, if it's for high school or college. For elementary school, "composición" it mostly used.

"ensayo" would be the perfect translation in my opinion, its even used in primary school to assign homework. "Redacción" is another option depending on the country, composición is pretty standard too.

Although I cant say its incorrect, as a native speaker I've never heard the word monografía on that context, it may be used in other countries as the standard but ensayo will be understood and it would not sound odd in most situations/context/countries