Is this poem in Spanish? Can you give me the translation or direct me to a web site? | SpanishDict Answers

Fiddle dee dee, fiddle dee dee, The fly has married the bumblebee. They went to the church, And married was she. The fly has married the bumblebee.

Click the Translate button at the top of this SpanishDict toolbar. You will get a box you can type this into to get a semblance of a translation. However, it won't be exact since what is in this children's rhyme are fun sounds that rhyme in English but won't rhyme in Spanish.

As katydew stated, this is an English nursery rhyme. When translating any sort of song or poem from one language to another, you will find that words that rhyme in one language will not rhyme in another. For example, in English the word "car" rhymes with "far". However the Spanish words for "car" and "far" ("coche" y "lejos") do not rhyme.

I would recommend typing your nursery rhyme into the SpanishDict toolbar after clicking "translate" if you want a quick interpretation, however here's my take on the nursery rhyme if it helps you:

• Feedle dee, feedle dee, feedle dee
  • La mosca se ha casado con la abeja
  • Fueron por la iglesia, y ella estaba casada**
  • La mosca se ha casado con la abeja

Doesn't have the same ring to it, wouldn't you agree?

**Note: The English version which says "...and married was she" is, due to the syntactical inversion of the sentence, a bit harder to translate.

The sentence might mean that at the church, (literally) the fly was married or it could mean that at the church the fly was married by a priest (or whomever). The first interpretation ("She was married") would literally be "ella estaba casada". The second interpretation ("the priest [or whomever] married the fly [to the bee]") would be "La casó [el cura or whoever married them]". Another option of interpretation is that at the church, the single fly became a married fly; this would read: "Fueron por la iglesia, y fue/era [una mosca] casada" depending on whether or not you think the imperfect or preterit is more appropriate under the circumstances. Finally, the last option I see is to say "They went to the church and she got married" which would be "Fueron por la iglesia y ella se casó" or, if you want to change the English to "they got married" to keep the subject the same: "Fueron por la iglesia y se casaron".

As you can see, while my long-winded rant may seem over-the-top for such a seemingly simple question, the point of it all is that translating poems, nursery rhymes, and songs (and really any document) from one language to another is challenging when trying to determine how best to translate the sentences while still keeping the original meaning and still making it sound good. This is why professional translators and interpreters are hired by publishing companies, businesses, judicial courts, law firms, and many MANY other organizations and companies! There is almost always more than one way to translate something so it's always good to check in with a teacher, native speaker, or Spanishdict.com forum wink to get opinions instead of just using Google translate or, even though it's better than Google, SpanishDict translate. I always rely on my fellow SpanishDict community members when trying to translate something because there could be something you overlooked or a better way of wording a sentence than what you came up with (similarly, someone else may have a better or more correct translation than what I have given you here and I hope they comment with their suggestions and corrections too so that I can learn along with you! =]).

Hope I helped and good luck! =]