I've heard the above phrase ¡No pasa nada! A lot in Spain.

This obviously comes from the verb pasar. But is this not imperative, informal, negative therefore requiring the subjunctive?

¡No pases nada! ?

Gracias

• Hello =) Welcome to the forum! - NikkiRivera Mar 21, 2012 flag
  • No subjunctive here, but rather, 3rd person of "pasar." - --Mariana-- Mar 21, 2012 flag

Like Jack-Obrien said, I have mostly heard it in the comforting sort of context.

The way I hear it is like the American "Don´t worry about it." kind of thing.

Example, you spill on the floor and apologize profusely. It´s not a big deal, so your friend says "No pasa nada!"

Or it can also mean "it´s okay", like the nightmare example Jack-Obrien gave. Like "hush hush, it´s okay" to calm a child from crying after a nightmare or bumping their head, etc.

And regarding the tense conjugation, it is present indicative, 3rd person singular. Literally "nothing is happening." Trying to literally translate it won´t make much sense in most contexts, you just have to know the phrasing and what it means! wink

No pasa nada => Nothing is going on.

Also means: everything is cool. It depends on context.

• I agree... I hear this phrase a lot... =) - NikkiRivera Mar 21, 2012 flag

There are so many situations where you could hear "no pasa nada". Everything from a mother comforting her little girl that just awoke from a nightmare with "no pasa nada" to a friend responding to another in response to ¿Qué pasa?

"No pasa nada" is a general response to "¿Qué pasa?". In English this would be a friend asking you "What's up" or "What's happening".

It is also commonly used when you excuse yourself for offending somebody. For example, I'm sorry I was late for you party. No pasa nada .(Don't worry about it. It's not important.)

¿Pasa algo?: Is something wrong?

No, no pasa nada: No, nothing's wrong.