English Grammar / The Pluperfect in the Subjunctive | SpanishDict Answers

How to use the imperfect and the pluperfect in the subjunctive mood in English and Spanish grammar?

The imperfect and the pluperfect in the subjunctive mood are used to express wishes and to talk about things that are subjective. They do not exist or are not likely to exist in reality. The imperfect is used in the present time frame and the pluperfect in the past. For example:

If I had money, I would marry you ( This conditional clause is not factual because I don't have money now, and it's expressed in the present time frame. The first clause has the imperfect of the subjunctive and the second has the conditional = Si yo tuviera dinero / si yo fuera rico me casaría contigo ).

If I had met you when I was rich, I would have married you ( this is in the past time frame and it's not factual because we didn't meet when I was rich. This conditional clause has the pluperfect in the first clause and the conditional perfect in the 2nd = Si yo te hubiera conodico cuando yo era rico / tenía dinero, me habría casado contigo).

Don José said:

Neither we, nor the members of this site are responsible for anybody leaving for other forums.

I agree. It was the web site owners' mismanagement what caused it..

The question is too complex to answer in a thread post. Go the the learn section above and look up the requested subject.

• "to" = infinitive auxiliary, do you mean "too" = excessively; also "Go the" should be "Go to the" ?? - Lector_Const Mar 21, 2012 flag
  • Obviously typos..... - --Mariana-- Mar 21, 2012 flag

The questioner is asking for an explanation of both English and Spanish pluperfect and subjunctive, and that the answer be given in a thread.The answer I gave, I believe is completely reasonable, as Paralee has compiled an extensive and effective grammar section. Should as a result of reviewing that grammar section, the questioner has specific areas of concern then it would be appropriate to address the area that is not clear, and have other forum members help out. Since several of the prior members decided to leave the site, the job of keeping it alive has fallen to others. We are trying to do the best we can. Neither we, nor the members of this site are responsible for anybody leaving for other forums.

• 2 more typos: Should, as a result of reviewing that grammar section, the questioner have - rabbitwho Mar 22, 2012 flag
  • I find this post confusing; how does it relate to the information requested? To whom is it addressed? - Lector_Const Mar 22, 2012 flag

There are a number of sites that you can learn about this topic.

Your question is too broad to answer in a post.

Please be specific after you've looked at [these learning sites.][1]

[1]: https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=pluperfect in the subjunctive mood

• The formatting on this website does not allow you to post links which include spaces. Try clicking the feedback button and see if they can fix it :) - rabbitwho Mar 22, 2012 flag
  • Conejo-quien: Many of us do not have the feedback button not even when using different browsers - sniffle,sob,weep! - Lector_Const Mar 23, 2012 flag