Word of the Day thread focus is English and not to include the Spanish. Updated 3/3/12 to include both the Spanish and the English. | SpanishDict Answers

Beginning tomorrow I will be posting only an English sentence for the Word of the Day. I'm sorry I didn't quite understand the new focus as outlined in Paralee's comments below mine.

even though the Spanish isn't required, I'm learning when the Spanish is included. I hope that the older members will take the lead and include this for everybody's benefit. - bandit51jd

Hi all, the focus for this thread is for those among us learning English, so that is why I changed the rules not to include the Spanish. I would like to devote this thread to helping those with their English instead of correcting the Spanish. - Paralee The more native Spanish speakers we have, the better, and it would be great to have some threads devoted especially to them. I hope you understand! - Paralee

• The link is to the Word of the Day: Later. I didn't see those comments until just a little bit ago. Lo siento! - bandit51jd Mar 2, 2012 flag
  • Moved your post to Feedback. Thanks for the support and understanding that we have many people here learning two different languages. - Paralee Mar 2, 2012 flag
  • Muchas gracias, Paralee! - bandit51jd Mar 2, 2012 flag

I really appreciate all of your comments and taking into account many of the things you have said, I think we should include the Spanish as well. While I would like a thread special for just those learning English, it seems that having the support of the Spanish learners there is helpful as well. I will let Tosh know that when the Word of the Day is posted, the rules should state to include the Spanish as well.

Again, thank you all for your honest answers. Obviously, this forum is for you and I want it to be the best it can be for everyone. I also appreciate the PMs I received about this topic on each side as I was given a much clearer understanding of what everyone actually gets out of the games. So thanks again.

Estoy de acuerdo con Sonrisa, Nikki, Gregory, Sanlee... No tiene sentido escribir solo la frase en inglés. Como comenté en el otro hilo, es necesario contrastar la frase en ambos idiomas para hacer una buena corrección.

¿Y qué hay de todos los que están aprendiendo inglés, pero que tienen todavía un nivel bajo como para entender todas las frases inglesas si no tienen la correspondiente traducción en español?

Además, me parece genial que todos los que están aprendiendo español participen también en la palabra del día inglesa. ¿Por qué no? Si añaden, claro, su versión española. Así, aprenden ellos al hacer la traducción al español, y aprendemos los nativos hispanohablantes, porque vemos las palabras inglesas siendo utilizadas por nativos ingleses, en contextos mucho más variados de los que a nosotros, como estudiantes de inglés, se nos pueden ocurrir. Definitivamente, creo que todos aprendemos mucho más así.

Si seguimos el mismo razonamiento, en "la palabra del día en español" solo habría que escribir frases en español, sin la versión inglesa, porque es un hilo dirigido a los que aprenden español ¿no?

• Tiene razón. - JazSpanish Mar 3, 2012 flag
  • jeje estoy de acuerdo amiga mia. Espero que estés bien :-) - billygoat Mar 3, 2012 flag
  • Mi buen amigo Billy, ¡me alegro de verte! :) - Cordobesa Mar 3, 2012 flag
  • ¡¡Bien dicho, mi amiga! - sanlee Mar 4, 2012 flag

Ahhh...that would make sense: if the focus is learning English, no need to include the Spanish.

That is NOT a good idea!

I don't know why anyone would want to do that. How are you supposed to give the proper corrections if the person cannot express themselves well in English?

I have to disagree with this one.

• We used to do it in Spanish only sor learners of Spanish , and Heidi used to correct it for us , we have plenty of native English speakers her who are only too willing to correct it for them , I am always available. - ray76 Mar 2, 2012 flag
  • "For learners " sorry I have fat fingers. - ray76 Mar 2, 2012 flag
  • I can def. correct English. - rac1 Mar 2, 2012 flag
  • It is not that there are no people to correct the posts... I guess everyone is missing the point. - NikkiRivera Mar 2, 2012 flag
  • If they cannot express themselves well in English, you would look at the Spanish version so a proper correction could be given. - NikkiRivera Mar 2, 2012 flag

What if the poster is fluent in Spanish, but learning English? Or learning both, but more advanced in Spanish?

How can the proper corrections be given?

What if someone is curious as to how a certain English idiom translates to Spanish?

100% in agreement with Nikki here.

I'd like to hear a few more opinions on this topic ....

I think the English word should be focusing on the English only. Let's give the English learners their own little section to practice and we (the native English speakers) can post examples of how the word is used in a sentence (with no Spanish translation).

For those of us learning Spanish--we have the Palabra del Día.

• Great idea , I would be in that like a lizard flat out drinking. - ray76 Mar 2, 2012 flag

For what it's worth, I think that we should post in both languages.

The more I see things said in both languages, the more it helps me.

I think that both the English and Spanish should be posted for each sentence. I agree with Bandit, Joyce, Nikki and Sonrisa. I also learn when both the Spanish and English sentences are included. And I can see Sonrisa's and Nikki's points concerning the correcting of the sentences. If the English is not clear, then we see check the Spanish, and it can help us decide what the person is trying to say. And what if the person is learning both English and Spanish? Shouldn't they be posting in both languages?

• That is a very good point Sanlee. - rac1 Mar 2, 2012 flag

That sounds a good idea bandit51jd, I shall do it pronto , thank you bandit.

I always need to write down the word of the day quickly in order not to forget it .

Thank you for your feedback, everyone.

I simply noticed that many Spanish learners were using the English Word of the Day game to practice more Spanish and that I was spending my time correcting Spanish when the focus should have been on helping the English learners.

I'd like to hear a few more opinions on this topic as we have had a person volunteer to help correct the Spanish on the Word of the Day game.

Well, I'm pretty confused, as I thought the decision was made, but hey, if this is still open, I would definitely choose both English and Spanish on the English Word of the Day, especially if a member has offered to help do the corrections. I learn a great deal from not just my Spanish but also others Spanish, and I do try to offer English suggestions, too.

If you take out the Spanish portion of the English Word of the Day, you might as well just stop the whole thread. If it takes too much time to go over and correct each post, then this is even more reason too. Either that, or you need to find more people who are fluent in both and willing to dedicate their time. It is very difficult to correct someones English if you don't know what the native speaker means in Spanish and vice versa. Both languages can still be learned in one thread alone. You will just have to settle with one word per day instead of two.

So, applying the same logic, the English sentence should not appear in Palabra del Día, correct?

So how do you expect corrections to be made when it might not be clear exactly what the person is trying to say.

lol, this is so funny!

We used to do it in Spanish only sor learners of Spanish , and Heidi used to correct it for us , we have plenty of native English speakers her who are only too willing to correct it for them , I am always available

Right, so wouldn't it be beneficial for the majority of SD users (native English speakers) to include the Spanish phrase in their EWOD post, as well?