1

Is it

soy soltera

or

estoy soltera

for saying "I am unmarried" ?

2

I believe that Soy soltera is more correct, but I have seen it written Estoy soltera. But then using "estoy" rather than "soy" would imply a temporary state of being single/unmarried rather than the more essential/inherent state implied by "soy"

Creo que Soy soltera es más correcto, pero lo he visto escrito como Estoy soltera. Sin embargo, el uso de "estoy" en lugar de "soy" implicaría un estado temporal de ser soltera/no casada en vez del estado más esencial que con lleva por "soy".

Favor de corregir mi grámatica.

• en lugar...en vez del...que implica/conlleva "soy" - Cordobesa Feb 25, 2012
2

Here is an article about this topic.

My answer to a similar question--

My Spanish lessons did give a little bit different explanation saying this- "When you say someone ES soltero, you are describing that person. When you say ESTÁ soltero you are saying what his status is. Using "estar" is more neutral, and using "ser" seems more to be used as a political identity."

But the bottom line is this- If you see your marital status as a part of your identity, you use ser.

1

soy soltera sounds more natural

• Feb 25, 2012
1

If I can be estoy muerto I can be estoy soltero. jajaja.

soy soltero = I'm single estoy soltero = I'm alone/single right now (not a permanent state (I hope)

Soy is probably correct but you will hear both used.

• Estoy solo= I am on my own at this moment. - kenwilliams Feb 25, 2012
1

Let´s look at some examples ,when I say:ESTOY alegre (I´m happy right now ,but most of my life I´m probaly unhappy) and SOY alegre(I´m discribing how I am most of my life).SO similar goes to soy soltero or estoy soltero.However in this case there´s not much difference and therefore you can use both .

• Feb 25, 2012
1

Hi!

You use "Estoy soltera", it sounds more natural.

In some cases you can also say this to imply that you are open to a new relationship.

"Soy soltera" would be used, for instance, if you are in a job interview; if the interviewer asks you for your marital status, you should say "soy soltera".

• Feb 26, 2012
  • This is what I was trying to say. You said it much better. Thanks. - gringojrf Feb 27, 2012
  • That is very nice. You're very welcome! - JuanPabloW Feb 28, 2012
0

Mi estado civíl es soltero (Ojala que fuera) jajaja

• Feb 25, 2012
  • Shouldn't have said that ,I was only joking. - kenwilliams Feb 25, 2012
0

in Argentina we use "soy soltera/o" to define your marital status but you can use "estoy soltera/o" to describe your present situation, "estoy soltera" would refer to a situation that was different before, maybe you were married but you separated so now you're single

• Feb 27, 2012
0

• Feb 27, 2012