How do you say "I am learning Spanish" in Spanish? | SpanishDict Answers

hello, i did level 1 at collage 2 years ago and am looking to refresh and learn more :D my partner is now joining in with my intrest for spanish smile he works at a large depo and many workers are latvian and spanish, he wishes to say to one of the ladies that he is learning spanish all i could think of was , soy estudante de espanol, but i would like to know how to say, i am 'learning' to speak spanish, your assistance in the matter would be greatly received smile yours hopefully, Jaime x

• Hi Jai, I changed your title to clarify. Welcome to the forum! - StuartSD Feb 16, 2012 flag

yo estudio espanol y estoy estudiando espanol

Hi Jai, Cooly gave a good answer. I would use "Estoy estudiando español" (or "castellano" if you're talking to someone in or from Spain).

• Actually, most people from Spain would call it español. Many people from the Americas would call it Castellano. I had this discussion many times when I lived in Caracas. No, it doesn't make sense to me, either. - KevinB Feb 16, 2012 flag
  • Los españoles fueron los conquistadores - The South Americans don't want to be reminded so they don't speak Spanish. - ian-hill Feb 16, 2012 flag
  • Hey Kevin and Ian - good thoughts. The term is politicized, so how and when people use it varies widely. You can always use "español" and be safe/understood. Here's a quick wikipedia article: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/castellano - StuartSD Feb 16, 2012 flag
  • In South America and Central America they will tell you that español is what they speak in españa, so they say they speak castellano. They don't make the connection with Castilla. - KevinB Feb 16, 2012 flag

Estoy estudio espanol

• This one isn't right, it translates as "I am study Spanish." - StuartSD Feb 16, 2012 flag

Muchas Gracias mi amigos :D

I am learning to speak Spanish

Estoy aprendiendo hablar español, would be the way I would say it