1

One of my coworkers is a US born, native Spanish Speaker. Today I heard him talking to clients and he used the English words ."spring brea.," After they left I asked him why he did that. He said that in Mexico they don't have spring break so the Spanish speakers that live here use the English words. An thoughts on this?

• is spanish hard? - nitaqueso Feb 15, 2012
  • Well, its not easy!! ;-) - CentralAM Feb 15, 2012
  • Great question! Just added the language clarification. - StuartSD Feb 15, 2012

1

Hi Leatha! You're right, there's no direct translation for "spring break" in Spanish. You can say "vacaciones de primavera" as a literal translation. In "proper" Spanish, people sometimes use "Semana Santa" (Holy Week) or "vacaciones de Semana Santa", because spring break usually happens around Easter (and many Spanish-speaking countries are predominantly Catholic and celebrate that holiday). There are some really cool "Semana Santa" celebrations in Latin America, one of my favorites is in Antigua, Guatemala where they create these flower carpets which a float with a religious icon passes through on a parade through the city.

Also, to answer your question about "spring brea'", there are many Spanish speakers (usually bilingual or those that live in the U.S. and have an American influence) that substitute English words for Spanish words either in isolation or frequently (speaking "Spanglish"). This is an interesting discussion on its own, for another day and thread.

• Feb 15, 2012
0

I don't think I can answer your question really, but I live in Nicaragua right now and it seem like they have adopted a lot of English words.. One for instance is full.. They use that a lot instead of llenar....

• Feb 15, 2012
0

vacaciones de primavera

• Feb 16, 2012