"Spring Break" in Spanish | SpanishDict Answers

One of my coworkers is a US born, native Spanish Speaker. Today I heard him talking to clients and he used the English words ."spring brea.," After they left I asked him why he did that. He said that in Mexico they don't have spring break so the Spanish speakers that live here use the English words. An thoughts on this?

Hi Leatha! You're right, there's no direct translation for "spring break" in Spanish. You can say "vacaciones de primavera" as a literal translation. In "proper" Spanish, people sometimes use "Semana Santa" (Holy Week) or "vacaciones de Semana Santa", because spring break usually happens around Easter (and many Spanish-speaking countries are predominantly Catholic and celebrate that holiday). There are some really cool "Semana Santa" celebrations in Latin America, one of my favorites is in Antigua, Guatemala where they create these flower carpets which a float with a religious icon passes through on a parade through the city.

Also, to answer your question about "spring brea'", there are many Spanish speakers (usually bilingual or those that live in the U.S. and have an American influence) that substitute English words for Spanish words either in isolation or frequently (speaking "Spanglish"). This is an interesting discussion on its own, for another day and thread.

I don't think I can answer your question really, but I live in Nicaragua right now and it seem like they have adopted a lot of English words.. One for instance is full.. They use that a lot instead of llenar....

vacaciones de primavera