There is a radio advertisement for a school in Boston, MA that teaches Spanish. "Learning Spanish is easy" they say. "For example, we use words like 'socks'." And then the announcer says S-0-C-K-S.

As close as I can come this is eso si que es, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Any thoughts on what they are saying?

Gracias

According to my Spanish professor (a native of Guadalajara), it should be eso sí que es (the is a "yes", not an "if"), and does not necessarily have an exact transliteration into English, so it can mean something along the lines of

"That's it"

"That is what it is"

"It is what it is"

xocoyote hit the nail on the head. "Eso sí que es" means "That is it!" I would safely assume the advertisement had a dialogue going where someone was looking for something and when they found it, they said the phrase, "¡Eso sí que es!" which to English speaking ears sounds like "S-O-C-K-S!" I've heard a funny joke because of that phrase before.. I post it if I can find it. smile

EDIT:

A Latino man who spoke very little English went into an American department store to buy socks. He found his way to the Men's Wear department where a young lady offered to help him.

"Quiero calcetines" said the man.

"I don't speak Spanish, but we have some very nice suits over here." said the salesgirl.

"No, no quiero trajes. Quiero calcetines." said the man.

"Well, (still unsure) these shirts are on sale this week." declared the salesgirl.

"No, no quiero camisas. Quiero calcetines." repeated the man.

"I still don't know what you're trying to say. We have some fine pants on this rack." offered the salesgirl, beginning to lose patience.

"No, no quiero pantalones. Quiero calcetines." insisted the man.

"These sweaters are top quality." the salesgirl probed.

"No, no quiero súeter. Quiero calcetines." said the man.

"Our undershirts are over here." the salesgirl fumbled more frantically.

"No, no quiero camisetas. Quiero calcetines." the man repeated.

As they passed the underwear counter, the man spotted a display of socks and happily pointed them out as he proclaimed "¡Eso sí que es!".

"Well, if you could spell it, why didn't you do that in the beginning?" asked the exasperated salesgirl.

• Oh, that's funny! - t1funnyface Feb 14, 2012 flag
  • Tu ganaste una vota tambien, DJ! - xocoyote Feb 14, 2012 flag
  • =] - DJ_Huero Feb 14, 2012 flag
  • This is funny and deserves a vote. The point of the ad was that school used neat tricks (like remember "socks" in their teaching methods. - mtmonadnock Feb 14, 2012 flag
  • Ohh, interesting methods. I like schools that are creative, makes you want to learn more. ;-) - DJ_Huero Feb 14, 2012 flag

Could the announcer just be spelling the word for knitted fabric garments worn on the feet inside shoes? (and at the same time be making the positive statement which the alphabetic sounds come out to be) ?? 8-)

They are saying "that is wanted" Eso Se Querias which sounds like you are spelling socks. To get the sound correct you say S O then the last part quickly CKS.

This whole s-o-c-k-s thing was from a language learning program commercial back in the day.

The gimmick in the commercial was "Spanish is as easy as spelling the word SOCKS"; S-O-C-K-S Eso (S-O) si (C) que (K) es (S)... [ insert adjective or adverb], ej. S O C K S 'interesante' (THAT IS INTERESTING) .. Ej S O C K S 'bueno' ( THAT IS GOOD).

The 'SI QUE ES' adds emphasis, with out using the word 'MUY' 'VERY'.

If you you still doubt this explanation ask any 40ish person whole remember this silly commercial. -FYI