Hola,

1) Entiendo que el futuro del subjuntivo es muy raro estes dias. Pero, si empiezo una frase con un verbo en el futuro (indicativo), uso el futuro del subjuntivo? Por ejemplo:

Trabajaré hasta que mis niños me llamen o llamaren? I will work until my kids call (I know they will call, but do not know when)

Tambien, encontré estos ejemplos del subjuntivo, pero creo que son incorrectos.

2) Trabajé hasta que mis niños me llamaron = I worked until my kids called.

Creo que la debe ser .....mis niños me llamaran (imperfecto del subjuntivo)

3) Si tengo tiempo, yo lo haré = if I have time, I will do it.

Creo que la debe ser.... si TENGA tiempo, yo lo haré.

Porque, no sé si tenga el tiempo. Y con la primera frase, si tienes el tiempo, no necesitias decer "si", si?

Muchas Gracias!

Trabajaré hasta que mis niños me llamen o llamaren?

"Llamaren" is wrong; it should be "llamen". Forget the fact that the so called future subjunctive sounds like a future, because it can only be used in very specific and rare circumstances, and even then, it sounds archaic and pedantic. Even most educated Spanish speakers do not know how to use that tense properly; only a few sayings they've heard here and there.

Perfect.

No. Your children did call you, so you must declare it in indicative.

After "si" you use indicative for possible conditions, and imperfect subjunctive for hypothetical or impossible ones. "Tengo" is perfect, but I would suppress "yo".

• Thank you much for the explanations! - salevene Feb 13, 2012 flag

This is fine. You did, indeed, work and your kids, in point of fact, called. You are declaring these as facts and that is in no way odd. Why would you want to use the subjunctive?

• I thought you are supposed to use the imperfect subjunctive with preterite, imperfect, conditional and pluperfect? - salevene Feb 9, 2012 flag
  • And I would think that hasta que would trigger it... for example, trabajo haste que... until something happens, not sure what or when, but it probably will.. i.e. subjunctive trigger, yes? - salevene Feb 9, 2012 flag

1 - llamen is fine

and 3 is just fine with "tengo".

I'm unsure of #2 (at first it seemed ok, but I'm unsure of the "rules")

• Here's a link in regards to (3). It may help: http://spanish.about.com/od/verbs/qt/si_clause.htm - Goldie_Miel Feb 8, 2012 flag
  • Regarding 3, I see that it should be "tengo" everywhere, based on those types of Si statements. However, I thought uncertainity was a trigger for the use of the subjunctive. IF I have time, i.e. - I may or may not.. - salevene Feb 9, 2012 flag
  • I understand the confusion. It used bother me too (and with other things, I'm still left uncertain of when to use the subjunctive). I just try to remember that "that's the way it is". I don't know the reasoning behind it. - Goldie_Miel Feb 9, 2012 flag
  • Interestingly enough, if you use an "if" statement for the past (i.e. If I were younger), then that would call for the imperfect subjunctive (i.e., Si fuera más jóven..). - Goldie_Miel Feb 9, 2012 flag
  • Haha I know, that is why I am so confused, but I guess I will just have to accept the that is the way it is answer for now! - salevene Feb 13, 2012 flag

hola, me gustaría hacer un comentario sobre la frase 2 aquí que no se usará la forma subjuntiva del verbo por que normalmente se usa subjuntivo en caso de dudas, pero no hay ninguna duda. es una acción completa...

• estoy confundido, por favor, ve mi comentario arriba... - salevene Feb 9, 2012 flag

anybody have any thoughts on the comments? smile

• http://users.ipfw.edu/jehle/courses/condic.htm... Rule Iv A..si tenga...the present subjunctive is not used after if - 0074b507 Feb 13, 2012 flag