Page 2 for La Palabra del Día: Espantar | SpanishDict Answers

Espantar

to frighten, to scare away, to scare, to shock

Special thanks to CentralAM for the idea for this word

If you have ideas for good words, please send me a PM – I will make it a future word of the day.

This thread is kindly moderated by drvicente. Please correct your posts according to drvicente’s indications and suggestions, and of course use the corrections to learn from your errors! smile.

Use the Word of the Day in a complete sentence that best exemplifies one of its definitions. Please provide both the Spanish and the English version and vote for other sentences that you like. The two best sentences (the most voted and the one selected by the mod and the thread owner) will be chosen to be used as the example sentences for the Word of the Day 30 days later based on votes and correctness. ********************************************************************************* Remember, you may NOT use a translator. This exercise is to test your abilities to write in both Spanish and English. ********************************************************************************* Only fully correct sentences are eligible to be chosen for the Word of the Day example sentences. ********************************************************************************** You may choose to include one picture with your sentences, but this picture may not be included in the Word of the Day email, so make sure your sentence is fully comprehensible without the visual aid .

The Palabra del Día will be posted one month in advance, and therefore will not match the word posted on the Website

Posts which will not be corrected or accepted:
• Captions with 3 words or less
• Paragraphs with more than 1 1/2 lines
• Posts which make no sense in either language
• Posts which consist mainly of lyrics or idioms which do not translate.
• Captions copied directly from books or other sources.
• Multiple posts from one person, or those who don't write the sentences in both English and Spanish.
Remember to correct your posts as suggested or they can NOT be "accepted".
Do not use subject pronouns in Spanish
Please refrain from overloading with graphic content (ie; bold smileys, etc). It makes it harder for the correctors to be able to read your posts…. )

My Example:

Mi empresa está alquilando un depósito. Una mujer y yo estábamos visitando el depósito cuando vimos un ratón, la mujer se espantó y gritó mientras yo me partía de risa.

My company is renting a warehouse. A woman and I were visiting the warehouse when we saw a mouse – the woman was scared to death, and she screamed while I was laughing…

• Buenos días Chris!. ... Una mujer y yo *estabamos* visitando el depósito cuando vimos un ratón, la mujer se espantó y gritó, mientras yo me partía de risa. - RaulSpaniard Jan 8, 2012 flag
  • Gracias amigo, tenía muchos problemas con esa frase......pero gracias por tu ayuda!! :) - 001a2987 Jan 8, 2012 flag
  • Hey Chris, wouldn't 'se espantó' be she 'got' a fright but 'se espantaba' be she 'was' scared? - Kiwi-Girl Jan 9, 2012 flag
  • Well, that does make sense - when you see a mouse, do you "get a fright" or are you more scared? (To be honest, besides in British movies, I have never heard of anyone "getting a fright") :) - 001a2987 Jan 9, 2012 flag

Some neighbours of ours used to keep (ie: to have) a lion in their garden to frighten away intruders (burglars)tongue wink tongue rolleye smile LOL grin

= Algunos de nuestros vecinos tenían un león en su jardín para espantar (a?) los intrusos (eg; los ladrones) tongue wink tongue rolleye smile LOL grin

Editor's note's: This is not true but it just seemed to be a good example of a sentence where I could use the verb espantar = to scare/frighten away

Corrijan mi español, por favor grin

Intenté acercarme unas aves bonitas para sacar una foto, pero antes de estuve bastante cerca, las espanté.

I tried to get close to some beautiful birds to take a photo, but before I was close enough I frightened them away.

I saw on Marianne's flashcards that espantoso was used as awful which I thought was atroz.

espantoso to me mean scary.

A veces cuando no sabe una palabra o expresion en espanol es espantoso!

Espanta perros de no los entiende

She fears dogs cause she doesn't understand them . alt text

• Fixed your link. - Eddy Jan 8, 2012 flag
  • thanks - Tasear Jan 8, 2012 flag
  • birds,cat, dog all animals that relate to each other - Tasear Jan 8, 2012 flag
  • English - understanding understand?? In your Spanish sentence - entiendo is first person - are you sure this was your intent? - 001a2987 Jan 8, 2012 flag
  • wow, I made huge error. hopefully, I fixed it - Tasear Jan 8, 2012 flag

He instalado una valla eléctrica para espantar los ciervos en mi jardín. Ahora pueden oír el ruido del transformador y así que no la tocan.

I installed an electric fence to scare the deer in my garden. Now, they can hear the noise of the transformer and they do not touch it.

• He instalado una valla eléctrica para espantar los ciervos en mi jardín. Ahora pueden oír el ruido del transformador y así que no la tocan. - drvicente Jan 9, 2012 flag
  • thanks, drvincente - aocroc Jan 9, 2012 flag

image

First Attempt: Siento, pero casas del terror estás no aterrador.

Second Attempt: Algunos personas están espantaron de las casas embrujadas, pero no soy.

Correction: Algunas personas se espantan con las casas embrujadas, pero yo no

Some people are frightened of haunted houses, but I'm not.

A round-the-clock “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” channel: All Kardashians, all the time. How awful!

Un canal de televisión de «Al día con los Kardashian» día y noche: Los Kardashian todo el tiempo. ¡Qué espanto!

¡Uuh! ¡Ohh! ¡Me espantaste! Pensé que fuiste fantasmo.

Boo! Wah! You scared me! I thought you were a ghost.

I don't scare off easily. No me espanto fácilimente.

• No me espanto... - drvicente Jan 9, 2012 flag
  • Oh dear will I ever learn?? thanks guys much appreciated. - jennyo45 Jan 9, 2012 flag

My attempt: A better translation is below the photograph.

Rattlesnakes coil and rattle their tails to scare away predators.

Las serpientes de cascabel enrollan y la víbora cascabelea a su cola para espantar los predadores.

I had a great deal of trouble with the verb ¨rattle¨ and I wanted to thank several people for their help, which I'm doing through the International Café! Please [click here][2] for my short experience of how Spanish speakers and learners have warmed my heart!

@Vicente Is this one better and closer to everyday Spanish? smile

Las víboras de cascabel, se enroscan y cascabelean sus colas para espantar (ahuyentar) a sus depredadores.

[2]: Welcome to the International Cafésmile

• Note, I don't have the post ready yet for the International Café or the above mentioned link! - bandit51jd Jan 8, 2012 flag
  • Well, the links are not perfect but clicking Welcome to the International Café link will share the experience.w - bandit51jd Jan 8, 2012 flag

This horse has the perfect tail to shoo flies away.

Este caballo tiene la cola perfecta para espantar las moscas.

Manchester City espantó Manchester United hoy cuando ellos mararon dos goales en la secunda tiempo.

Manchester City 2 3 Machester United.

• Hola Roger, no olvides poner la versión en inglés... :) - 001a2987 Jan 8, 2012 flag