2 Vote

hello everyone! Somebody recommended me this website and I'm here because I'm trying to teach basic English to some teenagers. Well, we're going to work with Toys vocabulary and I'm not sure about saying "muñeco" in English, I mean a kind of toy like Kent, Max Steal, Buzz Lightyear, etc. In Mexico "muñeco" is a standard word to refer to any toy with human or animal form. Thank you so much.

5 Answers

1 Vote

Muñeco could be a doll if it is usually a little girl's (like barbie dolls), it could be a toy as in the case of more general objects such as toy cars or other play things, and it could be an action figure usually when it is a replica of a super hero or an action star such as Superman, Buzz Lightyear, etc.

1 Vote

I always hear the word "mono" used when referring to action figures. (México)

Dolls like Buzz and Max Steel are action figures.

1 Vote

Thanks to everybody! Then how could you call a kind of toy like Kent (Barbie's partner)? I found boy doll

  • I would go with "doll" - NikkiLR Jan 5, 2012 flag
  • I'm going to go with boy doll on that one because Ken (no T) is Barbie's boyfriend and hardly what I would consider an action figure. - Yeser007 Jan 5, 2012 flag
  • I would go with Nikki, just "doll"; "boy doll" sounds odd, but I agree, not an action figure. - Stadt Jan 5, 2012 flag
  • You're right Stadt, I don't even know why I wrote boy. - Yeser007 Jan 5, 2012 flag
  • Gracias Yeser007, siempre pensé que se escribía "Kent" - maestroanton Jan 6, 2012 flag
0 Vote

Yes, in Spain we use "muñeco" too when referring to Kent, Max Steal, Buzz Lightyear, etc.

0 Vote

I would use muñeco for any doll (barbie or ken) as well as action figures (as they are just dolls) and for small soft toys for infants and young kids. Transformers and the like may be something else.

Answer this Question