I have seen both of these phrases - "Aqui tiene!" and "Aqui está!" - used to mean "Here it is" when handing something to someone else. Are they interchangeable or are they used in different situations? Thanks!

Hi mggmagee and welcome to the SpanishDict answers forum!!!

Have a look at this thread: Aquí tiene vs. Aquí está

or this one: What's the difference between "aquí tiene" and "aquí está?"

• Sorry I didn't realize this question has been answered before! Thanks! - mggmagee Jan 1, 2012 flag

I believe you've got it already, but I just wanted to add a bit. As a side note, the "aquí tiene" can be used in the familiar tú form, too.

Aquí tiene (usted).

Aquí tienes (tú).

With the above phrases, the person to whom you are handing the thing is the grammatical subject of the sentence (i.e., here you have it).

.

I believe with "aquí está," the object itself that is being handed over is the grammatical subject (i.e., here it is); so, it would be "está" regardless of to whom you hand the thing.

• You will also hear: tome/toma as well. This is very similar to how we say simply "here" as we hand something to someone. Well, in Spanish, they use the imperative of tomar...i.e., "take (it)." - webdunce Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • Thank you! This helps! - mggmagee Jan 1, 2012 flag

You could even add Aquí lo tienes... These are basically different ways of saying something, just like in English you could say, Here you are, here it is, here you have it, here you go...

• Ah! "Here you have it" - that makes a lot of sense. I was translating "Here it has." Thanks for the clarification! - mggmagee Jan 1, 2012 flag