What is my husbands, sister's husband to me? In other words my sister-in-law's husband? I thought he was a brother-in-law?

• Welcome to the forum and thank you for such a thought provoking question. - Yeser007 Jan 1, 2012 flag

Your spouse's siblings are your cuñados. Their spouses are your concuñados.

Though I respect the answers of Tosh and qfreed and acknowledge that we all tend - out of affection or civility - to call our in-law's spouses our in-laws too, it is not technicall/legally accurate.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/legal-definition-of-brother-in-law-20578.html Is the husband of one's sister-in-law, a brother-in-law?

Though that is the usage commonly. Legally no. They only have an affinity at common law.

Assume "A" and "B" are Brother and Sister and both are married. The "A"'s wife, is a sister in law to the "B", and "A" is a brother in law to "B"'s husband, but "A"s wife and "B"s husband are not related and only have a legal affinity between each other. Barring a law to the contrary, there is thus no legal relationship.

• Not legally, but family wise yes. It also depends how well you like that person! - Silvia Jan 2, 2012 flag

There is no word for this in Spanish or in English. You might call him your "brother-in-law", but the husband of your sister-in-law is technically no relation of yours at all. He is "the husband of your sister-in-law."

• Ceraintly, you're right about the English. He is no relation. - annierats Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • He is in Spanish. - Gekkosan Jan 1, 2012 flag

I disagree.

My sister has a husband.

He is my brother-in-law.

My sister is my wife's sister-in-law.

My sister's husband is my wife's brother-in-law.

He is also my daughters' uncle.

• And of course, there are words for these relationships in Spanish as well. - Gekkosan Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • This kind of confusion is exactly why I'm never getting married. - rabbitwho Jan 1, 2012 flag

Wait!

Are you from the south? snake

• It's not the south... it's Kentucky! :) - Tosh Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • Rofl - 0074b507 Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • ;) - chileno Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • hermano chileno, alguien se volvió loco, ni caso;) - 00494d19 Jan 2, 2012 flag
  • Hermana, are you from the South too? When are you gonna get married? ;) - chileno Jan 2, 2012 flag

brother-in-law...wiki

A brother-in-law (plural brothers-in-law) is

1) the brother of one's spouse,

My sister is my wife's sister-in-law.

2) the husband of one's sibling,

My sister has a husband. He is my brother-in-law.

3) or the husband of one's spouse's sibling. (answer to original question)

All of these people are of the same generation considering parents/children.

There is no legal relationship btw 2 people who marry siblings.

What if my sister married my wife's brother?

• Let's not use hyperbolie. Just because the legal system make a distinction does not mean that the term does not apply to both relationships. It's like saying a step-father is not a father. (a legal difference, but the term father covers both, - 0074b507 Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • especially if he adopts the child.) - 0074b507 Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • So adoptive father, biologic father, step-father may be different legally, but we do not tell a child, you can't call that man Dad or Father, you must call him adoptive Dad, Step-Dad. Father covers all. - 0074b507 Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • You wife's brother is your cuñado. He and your sister are concuñados. If they marry the'll become esposos, and he'll still be your cuñado. - Gekkosan Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • ..only more so. :-) - Gekkosan Jan 1, 2012 flag

Sorry, qfreed. Didn't mean to step on anybody's feelings.

The original poster asked, "I thought he was a brother-in-law?" To me this imples that she used the term "brother-in-law" or "cuñado" when referencing her husband's sister's husband and was told she was wrong which caused her some confusion. I'm simply explaining why someone would tell her that.

Some of us don't call our spouse's sibling's spouses "in-laws" - and we don't have to.

Some of us would never refer to our step-father as our father, by the way. That's a term of affection that must be earned. I call my step-father by his first name and always refer to him as "my step-father" or "my mother's husband." Never "father."

Q says:

I would like to see some sources saying that these people are not brother and sisters-in-laws other than just stating a personal opinion. I've seen errors in online definitions before, but someone provide a source backing up their explanation.

I don't know about English in-law relationships; extended family somehow is not as important in the Anglic cultures as it is in Latin cultures, I guess.

But the DRAE has a definition for "concuñados" which should be satisfactory:

concuñado, da. (De con- y cuñado). 1. m. y f. Cónyuge de una persona respecto del cónyuge de otra persona hermana de aquella. 2. m. y f. Hermano o hermana de una de dos personas unidas en matrimonio respecto de las hermanas o hermanos de la otra.

He is...

Tu cuñado o tu hermano en ley.

• Not really. El cuñado is the sister's husband. - Gekkosan Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • hermano en ley no es una expresión española - 00494d19 Jan 1, 2012 flag

It has always been my understanding that the husband of my wif'e sister is simply that and is in no way related legally to me thus not my brother-in-law and if you knew the brother of my sister-in-law you would not want to acknowledge him as a relative either.wink

What about my wife's ex-husband's brother?

So sorry. I was wrong in my previous post. In Spanish there does seem to be a specific word to describe your sister-in-law's husband. I'm told that one can use either "concuño" or "concuñado". There is no equivalent specific word for this in English.

• Yes there is... "brother-in-law". - Tosh Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • "In-law" is a legal relationship. There is no legal relationship btw 2 people who marry siblings. - mggmagee Jan 1, 2012 flag
  • ? I wouldn't have thought of a "sister-in-law" as a legal relationship either, I thought that was an expression. - rabbitwho Jan 1, 2012 flag

If it was me I would say brother-in-law.

A different source defining brother-in-law. See definition 3. I don't think that these are legal definitions, but defining how the term is generally used.