use of ti vs. tu | SpanishDict Answers

It's not clear to me when to use "ti" vs. "tu". Por ejemplo; "es importante para ti" o "es importante para tu" ?

Use "tú" when it is the subject and "ti" when it is the object. For example: eres importante. You are important. (subject) Es importante para ti. It's important to you. (object)

• It might be a bit less ambiguous to say when it is the "object of a preposition" - Izanoni1 Dec 20, 2011 flag
  • It is "tí", with an accent, not "ti". - SINGASDF12 Dec 20, 2011 flag
  • I guess both ti and tí. Sorry. - SINGASDF12 Dec 20, 2011 flag
  • there is actually no tilde on the word ti, sorry singasdf - unMica Dec 20, 2011 flag
  • Actually, look at this: "Notice how the indirect object (le) can mean "to him" as well as "to her," "to you," and "to it." When indirect objects "me" and "you" follow para, they change to "mí" and "tí" respectively. Do not use "para yo" or "para tú." (You - SINGASDF12 Dec 20, 2011 flag

Click here for one reference article which should help to clear things up. smile

This was the specific point I was trying to convey:

Notice how the indirect object (le) can mean "to him" as well as "to her," "to you," and "to it." When indirect objects "me" and "you" follow para, they change to "mí" and "tí" respectively. Do not use "para yo" or "para tú." (You may recognize this from "A mí me gusta.")

• That was exactly what I put in the comments :(. - SINGASDF12 Dec 20, 2011 flag
  • That article is wrong as it regards *ti* because they spell it with a tilde/accent. - Jack-OBrien Dec 20, 2011 flag
  • Cual and cuál are both correct to spanishdict's standards. Plus, I had a spanish course that said that it has an accented i. - SINGASDF12 Dec 20, 2011 flag
  • @ Jack: WBush was looking for general information about tu/ti. I was merely pointing him in the direction of one article to get him started. - Nicole-B Dec 20, 2011 flag
  • For corrections on the article itself, I would contact an administrator. :) - Nicole-B Dec 20, 2011 flag

Plus, I had a spanish course that said that it has an accented i.

Then your Spanish course was wrong.

Why does have an accent? To differentiate it from mi.

What do you need to differentiate ti from? Tu? ?

Use "tu" when it is the subject and "ti" when it is the object. For example: Tu eres importante. You are important. (subject) Es importante para ti. It's important to you. (object)

NIce answer, lydia, thankssmile

Welcome to the forumgrin

Yeah, when it is the indirect object and it accompanies "to" or "for", definitely use "tí" (accented i). Anything else, use "tú" (accented u). "Tu" is a reflexive pronoun that means "your".

Edit: "possessive adjective", not reflexive pronoun. I have troubles memorizing my parts of speech. Sorry.

• hi singa, welcome to the forum:) Please open a new thread if you wish to discuss cual or cuál, they are both correct. - 00494d19 Dec 21, 2011 flag

ti never has an accent. If you see one, it is a misspelling.

• Look at my comments to lydianish. Plus, spanishdict.com does not always include accents. Look up cual and see what I mean. - SINGASDF12 Dec 20, 2011 flag
  • I'm not sure what your point is. ti *never* has an accent. - Jack-OBrien Dec 20, 2011 flag

From the RAE

La palabra no está registrada en el Diccionario. Las que se muestran a continuación tienen una escritura cercana.

ti

(Del lat. tibi, dat. de tu, tú).

1. pron. person. Forma de 2.ª persona singular en masculino o femenino, común a los casos genitivo, dativo, acusativo y ablativo. U. siempre con preposición, y cuando esta es con, se dice contigo.

hoy por ~ y mañana por mí.

1. expr. U. para manifestar la reciprocidad que puede haber en servicios o favores.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

• jack, this is a newbie, please open a thread if you wish to discuss this, thanks - 00494d19 Dec 21, 2011 flag

Hi web, I hope you could actually see that your answer got answered earlier on.

Tú can be a subject pronoun or a possessive adjective.

Tú no comes manzanas.

Tengo tu coche.

As a pronoun it has an accentwink

Ti can only be a pronoun, as Izan said, a pronoun preceded by a preposition, for example "para ti"

It does not have an accent.

"es importante para ti" o "es importante para tu" ?

The answer is:

Es importante para ti.

Note that some other pronouns in this structure do have an accent.

es importante para mí, para él

Welcome again to the forumsmile