Someone called me a sassy girl. What does it mean?

And how to say I am a sassy girl in Spanish?

• It means you don't need to be 'triste'. - annierats Dec 12, 2011 flag
  • it means rude, disrespectful or sometimes it means lively, cheeky. There's like two definitions - nouraaaaaah Sep 3, 2013 flag

straight from Dictionary.com adjective, sas·si·er, sas·si·est. Informal . 1. impertinent; insolent; saucy: a sassy reply; a sassy teen. 2. pert; boldly smart; saucy: a sassy red handbag. and just like a lot of words it depends on how it is used as to whether it is good or bad and local dialect can change the meaning

it usally means that you have attitude.

Es la versión más inocua de "fresca", "descarada", "atrevida", "sinvergüenza".

In consideration of Annie's post, I would like to revise my preferred option for this particular context as "pícara".

Please read my other post for a more detailed explanation.

Thank you Annie.

• I think they are a bit too negative, gekkossan, but it may be so in the USA? - annierats Dec 12, 2011 flag

In England today it means you're rather attractive and far from shy. Vibrant. Alert. I should take it as a compliment!

En español: vivaz, alegra.. grin

• I mean compliment. - annierats Dec 12, 2011 flag
  • hehe - that was a fast save! :) - pesta Dec 12, 2011 flag
  • I thought it best to correct it properly. Anyway, here it''s a positive. - annierats Dec 12, 2011 flag
  • Positive here in Texas too, smart and attractive = sassy. - jeezzle Dec 12, 2011 flag

English word typically means bold. Personal I think of sassy as meaning spicy

Spanish: muchacha atrevida ( chica, mujer)

http://www.diccionarios.com/detalle.php?palabra=sassy&dicc_55=on&dicc_54=on&Buscar;.x=60&Buscar;.y=17&dicc_55=on&dicc_54=on&dicc_54=on&dicc_55=on&palabra2;=

** Some should put the answer in the phrasebook

My dictionary says:

Sassy 1. someone who shows no respect for authority 2. lively and confident 3. fashionable

As you can see, it depends on who is calling you sassy and whether or not they were angry with you. If that someone is an authority figure (such as a parent or teacher or a policeman) it may have a bad connotation, at least as far as they are concerned. If that someone is your peer or an appreciative male, it's a good thing. It definitely means you're not a doormat. (Do I need to explain doormat?) smile

Annie says:

I think they are a bit too negative, gekkossan, but it may be so in the USA?

Thank you for the observation, Annie. As everything else, it all depends on context, tone, and body language. These words can be very harsh if said in a mean, accusing manner, or can be quite fun and lighthearted.

Regarding the English interpretation, I am willing to listen to dissenting opinions, not being a native English speakers. My personal experience, both in reading and in practice, are consonant with these definitions:

Sass

noun

impudence; cheek: the kind of boy that wouldn't give you any sass. verb [ with obj. ]

sas·sy 1 (ss)

adj. sas·si·er, sas·si·est 1. Rude and disrespectful; impudent. 2. Lively and spirited; jaunty. 3. Stylish; chic: a sassy little hat. be cheeky or rude to (someone): we wouldn't have dreamed of sassing our parents

It is true that Sassy is and sounds more fun in English than the Spanish options I gave before. I submit therefore a set of alternatives, although I believe that "fresca" and "descarada" are quite applicable.

Maybe better options are: caradura or pícara.

To me, someone sassy is a bit of pícara, a bit of caradura / descarada, and a abit of sinvergüenza.

Personally, however, I tend to use "caradura"; "sinvergüenza", or "atrevida" as quite harmless words, fine to use with kids or with friends (again, given the proper context).

In any event, I think Annie's warning is worth taking in consideration, since in the wrong context, some of those words can be offensive.

La pequeña Pícara

Sassy Girl