I found a fast-paced and amusing video on the online learning site of The Open University, on the history of the English language. I think it is suitable for advanced English learners, although it was produced primarily for English speakers.

The History of English in Ten Minutes (part 1)

There are 10 parts, about 1 minute each. Links to the other parts are below the video.

If you like this, you'll love the additional video classes on this website.

There are six other Spanish tracks, about half of which are video.

Estoy seguro de que los disfrutarás tanto como que yo.

• Pesta, thank you, these are excellent. I've just learnt about the incas..I didn't know this site existed, it's good. - annierats Nov 29, 2011 flag
  • hehe...Chapter 8: American English or Not English, but somewhere in the ball park - Izanoni1 Nov 29, 2011 flag
  • They have resources for learning Spanish too Annie! Maybe someday they'll make more of their courses availble at cost price for people who don't care about getting a degree. - rabbitwho Nov 29, 2011 flag
  • I would like a degree , rabbit, but I can't afford one.. - annierats Dec 2, 2011 flag

Thank you Pesta, really funny and clever.

However I object to all the bad publicity the Vikings always get: These Vikings were tall, blonde and well educated young men wearing fashionable garments and keen on trade and export/import business ventures. Naturally, they were invited in by the resident maidens who served them cups of broth and generally made them feel welcome. Only when the menfolk discovered that in the next few years there were a lot of charming blond, blue-eyed babies in the settlements did they start all this bad publicity about rape and pillage. The wimps!

But, as we all know, bad publicity sticks and instead of gratitude for the improved language , the more stylish clothing, the greater navigational skills, general style and statue, all that remains are accusations of plunder.

Tack för att ni lyssnar. Thank you for listening.

• Don't take it personally Annie, the words that we have from the Vikings happen to all be related to bad things, they had to use all those words in a sentence about the Vikings, so of course it would be negative. - rabbitwho Nov 29, 2011 flag
  • I love Vikings, they ransacked Irish monasteries, murdered Irish monks and priests, stole from the church and burned bibles and holy books. Something I would love to try myself. - rabbitwho Nov 29, 2011 flag
  • Most Irish people have some Viking blood, they stayed there and were said to be "More Irish than the Irish themselves" :) - rabbitwho Nov 29, 2011 flag
  • Indeed, rabbit, those red haired ones! Actually, I think quite a lot of vikings stayed on, we still do, it's warmer hereh - annierats Nov 29, 2011 flag
  • I was hoping you would notice the word 'tack'. Thank you, rabbit! Anyway, I'm oly joking. - annierats Nov 29, 2011 flag

Impressive!!

Pesta, I love it

That is great! We were taught in primary school the Norman invasion was the start of the British occupation of Ireland, never-mind that the Normans spoke French and were as foreign in England as they were to us.

Hopefully it's a bit better nowadays! But they still teach kids about sex 3 years before they teach them about protection.

• i like how they draw the map of Britan as it exists today even when talking about the past, despite the fact it was very different then, and originally it only reffered to Wales! - rabbitwho Nov 29, 2011 flag
  • They said that the word firewall didn't exist before the internet.. but I thought a firewall was a wall you built to protect from potential fires? like you'd put a firewall around a room in a gallery where paintings were stored? - rabbitwho Nov 29, 2011 flag
  • Yes, yes, rabbit, firebreaks and firewalls are a very ancient concept. - annierats Nov 29, 2011 flag

Yes mate, I have used this a lot it is an excellent learning tool . Thank you pesta. grin

Everyone should look at this - including us Brits.